Smoking Protocols on Dive Boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefGuy:
I'm a nonsmoker. I understand about people being alergic or something, but it's not like a moving dive boat is like an inside bar or something. Can one or two people smoking at the stern really ruin the dive for people on an entirely different part of the boat?

how sensitized some individuals are to even minute amounts of cigarette smoke. Read the comments in this thread describing the headaches, nausea, rashes, sinus problems etc that even small exposures can induce.

The boat is not constantly underway and smoke doesn't magically disappear just because someone is at the stern. Depending on conditions, it can linger on deck or even be pulled into interior spaces.

Expecting non-smokers to continually look for a clean air zone because someone has a psycho-chemical addiction to nicotine is ridiculous. The need for clean air far supercedes the need to smoke.

And I was actually trying to be sympathetic to the smoker's cravings by suggesting alternate forms of nicotine...if I didn't have to inhale the stuff, I wouldn't care how much was consumed.

Put it in a pill, a drink, gum, anything that doesn't have to be burned would be fine...the guy that comes up with a non-intrusive nicotine delivery system will become a billionaire.

cyklon_300:
how sensitized some individuals are to even minute amounts of cigarette smoke. Read the comments in this thread describing the headaches, nausea, rashes, sinus problems etc that even small exposures can induce.

Expecting non-smokers to continually look for a clean air zone because someone has a psycho-chemical addiction to nicotine is ridiculous. The need for clean air far supercedes the need to smoke.
It never fails to amaze me how many "sensitized individuals" have suddenly appeared since smoking became such a PC, hot-button issue.
IMHO, moving to the stern of a boat out in the open water is a reasonable compromise for all concerned.

I am glad that I ran across this thread since I have yet to be on a boat dive and haven't run into the problem. I will make sure that I ask what the policy is before I put down any money.

I realize that smoking is an addiction and that there is a physical need to smoke. Since I don't smoke I have a couple of questions to those that do. Please don't take offense as I am just curious about your answers from your stand point. Have you ever thought about taking a nicotine gum subistute or a patch during a dive where smoking may be limited? Do they help at all? Has anyone tried anything like that? (I know that there will be someone that feels that have the right to smoke. Fine. But lets not forget that second-hand smoke affects my health too.)

Luckily, I am not allergic to smoke. I just don't like it. I try and be courtious to those that I know have the need to smoke and hope that they extend the same gesture to me. BTW, if I end up on a dive trip with you 'Dandy Don' and you helped me with my gear I would probably give you a kiss and not bi**h about your smoking!

cyklon_300:
ReefGuy:
I'm a nonsmoker. I understand about people being alergic or something, but it's not like a moving dive boat is like an inside bar or something. Can one or two people smoking at the stern really ruin the dive for people on an entirely different part of the boat?

The boat is not constantly underway and smoke doesn't magically disappear just because someone is at the stern. Depending on conditions, it can linger on deck or even be pulled into interior spaces.

And I was actually trying to be sympathetic to the smoker's cravings by suggesting alternate forms of nicotine...if I didn't have to inhale the stuff, I wouldn't care how much was consumed.

Put it in a pill, a drink, gum, anything that doesn't have to be burned would be fine...the guy that comes up with a non-intrusive nicotine delivery system will become a billionaire.

Bingo. Personally, I'm not bothered by the cigarette smoke nearly as much as many other non-smokers. It would likely take a denser cloud of it to bug me than it apparently does to bug you. That said, I think many smokers are not nearly as considerate as they believe and describe themselves to be. The ugly fact is that smoking forces those who have to breathe the same air to indulge with the smoker, at least to some degree; you can't just not breathe. Suppose a guy who dips could force those in the vicinity to enjoy just a small pinch with him every time he wanted to stick a big wad in the side of his cheek. I don't think anybody would think he should have a right to do that. But that's essentially what smokers do when they light up around others.

MgicTwnger:
It never fails to amaze me how many "sensitized individuals" have suddenly appeared since smoking became such a PC, hot-button issue.

Well, it's been a problem for me since I was a little kid, and that was long before "PC" days...I think it was just even harder to make people believe it back then - including my parents!

Dang, but we have done a really good job of sticking to the original subject here. I wondered if I was still on SB?!

Drew Sailbum:
Let's see. You were smoking in the middle of the boat and you are offended that someone told you to put it out? I would have put it out for you.

To assume that people choose to sit near the stern in order to provoke a confrontation with you over smoking is rather presumptuous.

People take up the position near the stern for a variety of reasons. Have a bad back or knee? Might be nice to sit near the dive ladders. Seasick easily? Might be nice to be able to feel the fresh air and not be in the confined space under the bridge. Working on a tan? It's certainly nice to sit in the sun.

No - I was offended at being given orders different that the protocol of the boat for several days preceeding, and that the nons intentionally took over the smoking section. BTW, sopme here don't know this, but the stern is commonly the smoking deck as it's generally downwind when the boat is moving or moored - with some exceptions.

One detail I forgot to mention is that this Cattle Boat's gate was midship, for boarding, striding, reboarding, and the boat had no cabin - everything wide open to the breeze. I did mention that the boat had been smoking allowed at stern all week, and that the Dive Guide smoked at the stern even after the leader jumped me. That part was funny. They know that I'm nice enough to give in, but they're not going to jump him, and the militant nons found themselves immediately up against his smoke.

All in all, I think that Tolerance and Cooperation help a lot in these cases. When the stern is the Gate, smoking should be banned when divers are entering or leaving the water.

Yes, the leader knew I was a smoker, and she's since apologized for being rude, but I'm looking for Then & There suggestions.

Next time, get to the boat early and pick your spot as soon as you board. Leave the crew to assist other guests on board.

Sorry, I was raised to be a gentleman - helpful to ladies, etc.

cdiver2:
If you get sea sick then stay of boats, shore dive. I do not get sea sick untill I see someone start to puke so you could be just as considerate as the smokers you complain about and stay of the boat.

Oh, now - that's a bit much. Funny, when I'm feeling motion sickness, I feel better smoking; comfort drug, I guess.

ReefGuy:
And Cyklon, how about this scenerio.

Dandy Don politely agrees to stop smoking, and because the non-smokers are at the back, he goes to the front and starts setting up his gear. He's interrupted by one of the non-smokers asking him to move so that she can get into the cabin and use the head (our buddy Dandy Don happens to be next to the steps). Should the non-smoker be polite and wait for Dandy Don to "vacate the area"? Or is Dandy Don being non-dandy for living by the same rules as everyone else?

Love that one! If you want me to let you get to the head, then please understand if I ask you to let me get to the smoking deck. Except that boat didn't have a head.

Oh, BTW, if you want a No-Smoking Operator in Key Largo, let me suggest: Tavernier Dive Center - http://www.tavernierdivecenter.com/ great operation, and smoking not allowed anywhere on the property. I like them so much I do without and go with them when I'm there, for the Eagle, Duane, Bibb, reefs, but not the Grove - as they're too far away from it.
:D

MgicTwnger:

Say ... you weren't perchance on a boat in Campbell River B.C. last July, were you? That's almost verbatim what the guy told my wife ... just before he incapacitated her to the point where she couldn't dive.

It never fails to amaze me how many "sensitized smokers" have suddenly appeared since it became known how sick their smoke makes other people.

Clue ... there is nothing "PC" about trying to maintain one's health.

SMOKER: GET A LIFE!

NON-SMOKER: Thanks ... but I'm just trying to keep the one I've already got.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Say ... you weren't perchance on a boat in Campbell River B.C. last July, were you? That's almost verbatim what the guy told my wife ... just before he incapacitated her to the point where she couldn't dive.

It never fails to amaze me how many "sensitized smokers" have suddenly appeared since it became known how sick their smoke makes other people.

Clue ... there is nothing "PC" about trying to maintain one's health.

SMOKER: GET A LIFE!

NON-SMOKER: Thanks ... but I'm just trying to keep the one I've already got.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Wasn't me. I think that most smokers would be happy to extinguish or relocate if there is a real problem. There seems to be a lot of rudeness on both sides of the aisle (I'm not referring to you in particular).
Clue... joining the lifestyle police is very PC.

Ann Marie Re my Dr, "non of the stuff touted to stop you smoking works by itself it is more will power". Nicotine is just a part of the addiction the other part is going through the motion of smoking.
Going back to the patch etc, how many times have you seen someone taking anti sea sick meds and are still sea sick, its the same with anti smoking meds.

I suck on a Snuff Bandit pouch until I get the hiccups, except - sometimes I forget to spit it out. Find myself down 40 feet, reviewing in my mind before I go deeper, and notice it still in my mouth. I'd hate to suck one of those down my windpipe at 40 feet!!

Back
Top Bottom