smurf gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would like zero of those things :)

this is about all the glove I can stand:

38086_489585649936_787049936_6602281_2007926_n.jpg

... those'd be good for about a 10-minute dive in Puget Sound ... especially in winter ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If you would like some of the warm, Thinsulate liners that Rjack doesn't like :)p), I can pick them up and send them to you. They are a bit thicker, but they are freakin' warm. They are $9.99 plus tax/shipping. If you'd like more than one pair, that can also be arranged.

We use them all winter, and do alot of skills with them. Once we get to wet glove season, gas switches and bottle rotations are a piece of cake. :wink:

Hey!! I like them I just can't DO anything with them. Well I can, but I don't trust a bottle rotation with them for instance.

That might work....but keeping the latex seal intact is a big deal for many of us. If we're diving with dry gloves, that probably means that it's cold enough that you really don't want to flood your suit. With no inner seal, a torn glove is a huge issue....with an inner seal, a torn glove is an annoyance, but not that big a deal.

Most people I know use a little tube of some sort (I have a small piece of bungee) to break the latex seal. If my glove ever floods, I'd just pull the bungee if it was bad enough to start getting my arm wet.

L.. have you done this in real or simulated conditions? I wonder how flooded you would get before you could get a hold of the bungee and pull it out. So far I have only vented my seal (when wearing dry gloves) in quarry dives where a flood would just end the dive but otherwise not be a critical problem. I hesitate to vent all the time because I have had leaks that I could not explain and a flooded hand would / has shortened but did not immediately end the dives. (I now think the Si Tech rings O ring was coming out of place)

What do you think of somehow anchoring the bungee inside the smurf glove, so when you remove the glove the bungee gets pulled out too? It seems this would allow much less flooding since the bungee (or other vent) would come off the same time as the glove. If you think this is a good idea then I can apply for a patent for a Special Scuba vented Dry Glove system with automatic de-venting device :wink:

L.. have you done this in real or simulated conditions? I wonder how flooded you would get before you could get a hold of the bungee and pull it out. So far I have only vented my seal (when wearing dry gloves) in quarry dives where a flood would just end the dive but otherwise not be a critical problem. I hesitate to vent all the time because I have had leaks that I could not explain and a flooded hand would / has shortened but did not immediately end the dives. (I now think the Si Tech rings O ring was coming out of place)
I removed a tube once on a deco dive in Lake Washington (water temp 48F). My suit flooded almost to my shoulder before I got the damn thing out ... but once the flood of fresh water stopped going into my suit the flood wasn't much more than uncomfortable. The hand with the flooded glove got real cold, though ...

What do you think of somehow anchoring the bungee inside the smurf glove, so when you remove the glove the bungee gets pulled out too? It seems this would allow much less flooding since the bungee (or other vent) would come off the same time as the glove. If you think this is a good idea then I can apply for a patent for a Special Scuba vented Dry Glove system with automatic de-venting device :wink:
Can't imagine how you'd get the bungee through the wrist seal if it was permanently mounted to the glove ... but if you could build a system that'd work like that it'd probably sell ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Can't imagine how you'd get the bungee through the wrist seal if it was permanently mounted to the glove ... but if you could build a system that'd work like that it'd probably sell ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm thinking Si Tech or similar system of rings... six inch bungee anchored in the inside cuff of the smurf glove (wrist area), with the free end of the bungee sticking out about 3 inches. Put on the glove but leave an inch of space between the rings, then stuff the free end of the bungee under the seal, then mount the glove rings the rest of the way. It would leave an inch of bungee loose that you would have to make sure didn't get in the way of the rings, but that parts easy... Just a thought.

I've taken off a glove once to pull out the bungee. Unlike Bob, I hardly flooded the suit at all. On the few other glove leaks, I just left it in place, and still didn't flood too badly. If the glove leak is small and you're only using a small bungee to equalize, you just aren't going to move that much water. In any case, your hand is going to get cold whether or not you take off the glove to pull the bungee, so if the leak's bad enough, better to get it out.

I've taken off a glove once to pull out the bungee. Unlike Bob, I hardly flooded the suit at all.

Probably because you were using bungee and I was using aquarium tubing ... I use bungee now ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yeah, that's probably it.

I remember when I first start using dry gloves, half the time I wouldn't get them to seal correctly, so for awhile, I just wore wet gloves underneath. If they flooded, no big deal. :)

Probably because you were using bungee and I was using aquarium tubing ... I use bungee now ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I tried some smurf gloves on at extreme exposure yesterday. how do you guys do ANYTHING with those gloves on???

I tried to take a bolt snap off of the wall with these gloves on and almost sent the whole display crashing to the floor. glad I do my diving in florida!

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom