smurf gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't realize SoCal water got that cold.

It doesn't (or at least, the worst I've seen is mid to upper 40sF). His gauge just freaked out when the temp dipped under 50F. I think my Suunto read 48F that dive (at 165').

I only started wearing dry gloves because the water in MA is actually cold. Realized, though, that I had better dexterity and warmth in them, so kept then in CA.

It doesn't (or at least, the worst I've seen in mid to upper 40sF). His gauge just freaked out when the temp dipped under 50F. I think my Suunto read 48F that dive (at 165').
Sounds more like it ... it gets down mid to lower 40's around here in winter.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sounds more like it ... it gets down mid to lower 40's around here in winter.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We had 46F a couple weeks ago....made me wish for a dry drysuit! That's the coldest I've seen in socal. Usually, it'll be low to mid 50's, but that's still cold enough to warrant dry gloves!

... those'd be good for about a 10-minute dive in Puget Sound ... especially in winter ... ... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I doubt I'd last 2 minutes wearing those in our water :)

I've never been able to keep them dry, so consequently I was colder than with wet gloves :D

My DC gloves system only leaked on about 4-5 dives in the last 200ish. Usually it's easy to catch it in the first few seconds before the liners get wet - just hop out, clean the connection again. The other time there was a small hole in the glove.

Dry gloves weren't my first choice, but I couldn't clip after 45 minute dives in 5mm gloves. So swapped out all the other insulation, then had no choice but to go dry & later added Argon.

Now at the end of 90+ min dives in 48-50F my fingers are still cold, but I can clip :).

Mine sit with the knot on the glove side of the latex seal. I can spin off the dry glove, reach with my other hand and grab the knot, and pull out the bungee (it's a couple inches long). Seal is now once again secured.

As I mentioned, I've only done this once in the water, but it wasn't a problem. I actually suspected I had a leak in the glove before getting in (this wasn't a big dive), so had backup wet gloves in my pocket. Five minutes into the dive, I could tell it was leaking. Pulled one wet glove out, switched, stuck the dry glove and liner in the pocket, and we went on with the dive.

Makes a whole hell of a lot more sense and actually seems doable. I was under the impression the process was to pull it suit side.

I didn't realize SoCal water got that cold. I figured you guys were a few degrees warmer than we were ... at least, that's been the case when I was down there.

Only once. And Rainer swears up and down it was warmer than that (my gauge briefly read 40.6°F - looks like about 90 seconds worth on my downloaded log. The rest of the dive was warmer, but not by enough to make me happy), but I was freezing. Granted, I was wearing thin wetgloves that had tears all up the side and holes in the fingers from using clips, but still. Cold.

BTW, Marc, what dry glove system were you using? I know you used to always have wring the water out of your liners after a dive....but I never paid attention to which system it was. I've never had an issue with my Vikings....in fact, you almost couldn't flood them unless you did it on purpose (in terms of getting them sealed).

Diving Concepts (w)ring system. There's a leak somewhere in it. It leaks on both sides (into the glove and into the suit).

I have pulled my bungies out when I ripped a glove once, big hole but otherwise NBD. Use 3/16" bungie or so. Each piece is about 4" long then put a knot in one end so it ends up 3" long or so. Put the knot up against the latex seal with the tail going into the suit. Remove glove and pull out of the suit if required to stop a leak. Hand will be cold.

... those'd be good for about a 10-minute dive in Puget Sound ... especially in winter ...

I suppose I must be more cold-tolerant than most. I've been diving with fingerless wet gloves for a while now - down to about 47F. As long as my body core stays warm enough, my fingers are fine. I did opt for full wet gloves when I dived Clear Lake in August (water temps in the mid- to upper 30s).

That being said, I do plan on getting some dry gloves for winter diving, but mostly so I start my surface interval with dry hands. :cool2:

I suppose I must be more cold-tolerant than most. I've been diving with fingerless wet gloves for a while now - down to about 47F. As long as my body core stays warm enough, my fingers are fine. I did opt for full wet gloves when I dived Clear Lake in August (water temps in the mid- to upper 30s).

That being said, I do plan on getting some dry gloves for winter diving, but mostly so I start my surface interval with dry hands. :cool2:

Some folks are more cold-tolerant than others. I know an instructor who doesn't wear a hood in Puget Sound ... then again, she's a red-head ... :wink:

... come to think of it, Mike Kane never did either ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Some folks are more cold-tolerant than others. I know an instructor who doesn't wear a hood in Puget Sound ... then again, she's a red-head ... :wink:

So are you saying she's crazy? And if so, is she single?? :D lol

I met a gentleman from Alaska who dives there without even wet gloves. :cold: I got chills just thinking about that, and when I was diving in Monterey last winter my fingers were losing strength after 30 minutes with 6.5mm gloves on.

Peace,
Greg

Use 3/16" bungie or so. Each piece is about 4" long then put a knot in one end so it ends up 3" long or so. Put the knot up against the latex seal with the tail going into the suit. Remove glove and pull out of the suit if required to stop a leak. Hand will be cold.

I made a set of "thumb loops" from 3 mm (or so) climbers line. Instead of tying a knot, I secured the loop with a couple of wraps of cave line to keep a low profile and left a 5" tail.

The loop goes over my thumbs before getting into the suit and the tails of the loops stays in the sleeves automatically. I leave the loops around my thumbs when I don the gloves so they're easy to grab should I need to.

Henrik

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom