• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Snorkel Alternatives...???

Discussion in 'Snorkeling / Freediving' started by SURFFOILS, Mar 27, 2018.

1. woodcarver

woodcarver Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Wondered about the size. The pics make it look like the exhaust valve is very big.

2. SURFFOILS

SURFFOILS Angel Fish

The Kapitol reef snorkel looks very interesting. I’d love to try one.
    It only takes about 4 breath cycles and you can feel the CO2 build up in your brain so complete control over the flow is essential.
    I put 2 custom anaesthetic machine valves in, V1 only lets air into a small space with the mouthpiece.
    And V2 only lets air out at a certain presssure. Very simple and easy function.
    39DEE2FB-CE07-4FB4-8F81-E1FE53DBC09A.jpeg
    So there’s no backwash of used air out the IN tube and a very small air exchange space for any CO2 build up. I’m using large diameter tubes so there’s no breathing resistance and its a very calm experience. I’m aiming at making something for beginners to enjoy.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 5:29 AM
  3. SURFFOILS

SURFFOILS Angel Fish

That’s always been a slap in the face to me when people say they don’t like the look of dive equipment, overall everyone kitted up and ready to SCUBA already looks like the Michelin man / Apocalyptic warrior.
    I don’t get the need for something to be beautiful when it’s more essential that it works perfectly in such a hostile environment.
    I like that you found the dry snorkel to work effectively. I’d rather be comfortable and safe than pretty.
    And any photo of me will prove that....

With the float and post system, the buoyancy of the float keeps it above the water, The open ended post now has a cap so that splash, rain or a seagull can’t obstruct the airflow.
    D92F6F56-212B-4947-AB5A-23502C7ED8B2.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018 at 5:58 AM
  4. aquacat8

aquacat8 Solo Diver

How does it swim?

5. SURFFOILS

SURFFOILS Angel Fish

The tube that connects the mouthpiece to the surface float is the key to feel. At the moment I’m using a 1 in rubber tube which is completely the right size for breathing. One guy said it’s the King of pipe sizes for no effort breathing but it’s got negative buoyancy so it’s a bit heavy in the water and not totally flexible as I’d like.
    In a perfect world I’d have a positive buoyancy tube about 3/4 in but it’s early days. I ordered tons of silicone tubing from India but the deal fell through. I’m always working on the design tho.

aquacat8 likes this.
  6. woodcarver

woodcarver Nassau Grouper

If you have access to a 3d printer, you could create the cap with a much thinner, lighter cap that might help offset the heavy feel. It could be made from the flexible material that would also allow it to be folded and stowed in a pocket.

7. SURFFOILS

SURFFOILS Angel Fish

Good idea woodcarver, I’m adding up all the good tips for the next prototype. I’m 5 mins from the ocean for testing but finding time to get down there is hard, Ive tested it a few times before dawn and scared a few surfers when I surfaced next to them. That’s why it’s orange and has glow in the dark tape on the float.

8. SURFFOILS

SURFFOILS Angel Fish

Some things are easily solved like the float design.
    It started out as a central round buoy with a tapered top.
    Absolutely hopeless, it rocked and wobbled and threatened to tip over at the slightest ripple.
    Changed to the opposite making it a round hoop with a bridge across the centre.
    So much more stable. No need to look for a further epiphany, this is gold.
    ED312D07-BA28-4489-959C-67C04F91A832.jpeg
    They’re all hand shaped EPS styrofoam and vac bagged epoxy resin.