Snorkeler attacked and killed by Bull Shark at Seychelles while on honeymoon.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am in Seychelles and all I am seeing around now is PANIC.....!
In Praslin some of the most beautiful beaches such as Anse Lazio ( where the accidents occurred...) and Anse Kerlan, Anse Georgette ( where a 5 stars hotel is located) are now closed for swimming...
The only thing you see are boats to hunt the shark .... they even put a bounty of 3 000 euros. Now think about the needless slaughter of sharks that will be done .... Ok it's a tragedy what happened but I do not blame the shark or the poor snorkelers.
It is the fault of all those leaving the fishermen to go closer to shore to download the innards of their catch, clean their boats and thus discharging blood .....
The blood attracts the small fish ... and the small fish attract big fish ....
it seems that now the government has alerted on this issue despite several years that the diving centers of the islands try to do it.
In the hope that the death of these two people is not in vain ...

@LadyBlue YES it must be very sad for you all out there,been reading up a lot on this to think why ! and it does disturb me about the fisherman and cleaning their catch etc so close to beaches,that's shocking and even more shocking that now beacause there multi million £ tourist industry is at risk they now listen

Also when the couple were told there were no sharks in the Seychelles,that's outrageous

Also how the first attack was tried to be covered up.

Keep us updated with news

I feel I know far too little about their behaviour and indeed don't really have a clue on what do to if I ever had to react to something the sharks are doing. With this in mind, I would like to suggest that ... divers should be better instructed on to the behaviour of sharks and how to interact with them. While I fully appreciate the PADI guide books suggestion "If you see a shark, enjoy the experience" (which I have enjoyed!), I would also like to know what to do and what NOT to do if it ever came to that.
PADI covers this in Section 3 of the OW course academics. You are taught that aggressive behavior toward humans is not normally a part of their behavior, and you are told what to do in case a shark or other marine animal does act aggressively. There are two questions on this in the knowledge reviews.

I’m not sure what the resort’s responsibility is here. What if it was someone out playing in the waves on a boogie board instead of snorkeling? When someone is bitten by a shark off the beach in Florida while playing in the surf with an inflatable mat should the resort that the swimmer is staying at be held responsible? Should the resort closest to the incident be held responsible?
It’s obvious that a resort could be thought ‘responsible’ if they were involved in some practice that might attract sharks. Someone already mentioned creating a dive site similar to Grand Cayman’s Stingray City called ‘Bull Shark City’ but in Florida, incidents generally are not associated with areas when there is baiting or fish gut dumping.
Isn’t it possible that over decades and over tens of thousands of swimmers that there would be a single shark attack regardless of best practices.
One could argue that the resort should warn people that there is the potential for shark attack however, that’s true anywhere in the ocean, even at a resort that has never had an attack in its recorded history.
Instructing people to not snorkel alone is good advice even if there hadn’t been a shark incident and applies to all watersports, even skinny-dipping. But there have been documented shark-bites of surfers and swimmers who were with other people. As far as the resort equipping snorklers with some shark-deterrent device, it may make people feel better but in most cases would make no difference because most of the time they don’t see it coming. The truth is most people swimming in the ocean flee the sight of a shark. I saw a wade fisherman run across the surface of the ocean like a biblical miracle because he saw a porpoise fin he thought was a shark.
When I worked in a dive store, I actually would get an occasional phone call (usually around Shark Week) from people asking about ‘one of those metal suits so sharks can’t bite you.’ Yep, every new diver needs 70 pounds of non ditchable chain mail weight wrapped around them. Another amusing call was, “I’m going scuba diving in the ocean this summer, do you guys sell those things that you can blow up sharks with?” (Translation: bangstick or powerhead.) One thing that is far more dangerous than a seven foot hammerhead is a newbie with a bangstick.
I once had a small shark become very aggressive with me when I was surfing one and realized then that like DCS, what ever we do in the ocean, we can never get the risk to absolute zero. Even beaches protected by shark nets cannot be said to be 100 % safe from sharks.

....One could argue that the resort should warn people that there is the potential for shark attack however, that’s true anywhere in the ocean, even at a resort that has never had an attack in its recorded history.
Instructing people to not snorkel alone is good advice even if there hadn’t been a shark incident and applies to all watersports, even skinny-dipping. But there have been documented shark-bites of surfers and swimmers who were with other people. As far as the resort equipping snorklers with some shark-deterrent device, it may make people feel better but in most cases would make no difference because most of the time they don’t see it coming. The truth is most people swimming in the ocean flee the sight of a shark. I saw a wade fisherman run across the surface of the ocean like a biblical miracle because he saw a porpoise fin he thought was a shark.
My idea was for a camera that would also be protection...very different, when you think about it....the bigger issue, is that the resorts and your position as well, is that the best solution is to equip the public with "Ignorance".....
I think this is morally bankrupt. Even though you are CORRECT that many snorkelors will not see the SHARK near them ( even many scuba divers have very low peripherol awareness abilities, and don't see a shark unless a buddy grabs them and forces them to look in the right direction).....but, there will be snorkelers that DO have awareness of their surroundings, and that DO scan the horizon, and WOULD see the shark.
Sharks do not typically come straight in on first look to bite. Far more typically, they circle around to get a feel for wether the object they are curious about is food or dangerous to them, and this could be a substantial amount of time....With buddies, the chances of one seeing the shark go up alot, and the danger equation looks higher to the shark..... The ones with a buddy, and some awareness, would most likely have an excellent chance that they could turn what could have been a bite, into a fun video opportunity, with no injuries to anyone.....But the Resort plan is to remove this option, and the use of ignarance WILL cause some deaths. It will certainly not SAVE any snorkelers..... My solution could save aware individuals--and anyone has the right to this.
As to belly surfers and surfers in general, this can not be made to be safe, there is no reasonable way to have a two way interaction with the shark that can help the person. I'd let my kid snorkle with friends, all with the camera tool on pvc, but would NOT let them surf in places where large sharks are expected.

amity-jaws1.jpg
"I'm pleased and happy to repeat the news that we have in fact caught and killed a large predator that supposedly injured some bathers. But as you can see, it's a beautiful day, the beaches are opened, and people are having a wonderful time. Seychelles, as you know, means friendship."

UPI is reporting that the shark was a great white, rather than a bull shark:

VICTORIA, Seychelles, Aug. 22 (UPI) -- A shark that killed a British man on his honeymoon in the island country of Seychelles was a great white, scientists say.
South African marine scientists, who examined images of the fragmented tooth taken from victim Ian Redmond's body, concluded its characteristic serrated edges and unique triangular shape show it's from a great white shark, The Sunday Mirror reported.
Read more: Shark that killed man called great white - UPI.com

My idea was for a camera that would also be protection...very different, when you think about it....the bigger issue, is that the resorts and your position as well, is that the best solution is to equip the public with "Ignorance"..... I think this is morally bankrupt.

I've always thought of myself as a 'moral' person and I'm always seeking to refine that morality so I really want to understand your shark-protection proposal.

The resorts are guilty because:

They don't actively warn people about the possibility of shark attacks in the ocean.
They don't enforce a buddy system on snorkelers.
They don't give people cameras-on-a-stick to fend off sharks.

As to belly surfers and surfers in general, this can not be made to be safe, there is no reasonable way to have a two way interaction with the shark that can help the person. I'd let my kid snorkle with friends, all with the camera tool on pvc, but would NOT let them surf in places where large sharks are expected.

So a responsible resort would not allow surfing in general? or do they just say, "Your surfers are on your own if a shark attacks."

What would be an example of a beach resort (not just scuba resorts but any beach resort) that handles the threat from sharks in a way you find responsible?

Back
Top Bottom