snorkeling & scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pratt

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm looking for suggestions for Caribbean destinations where there is good snorkeling as well as diving. Specificly places with shore entry. I've been to St John and it was very favorable in this regard. I hope there are other places almost as nice.

In Bonaire, the bottom is sandy with sprinkle of rocks and coral to about 50 yards? At that point, solid reef begins around 15-20ft in depth and increase depth gently until about 35ft. After that it becomes a reef wall going down to depths of 100-150ft. I found an abundance of life from 20-50ft. Below 50ft was more of the same but with less color due to depth. Above 20ft it was less abundant but similar life. In 5-10 ft of water I saw barracuda, parrotfish, anglefish, urchins and other typical tropical life. The only drawback to snorkling I would note is that the beaches are coral and too sharp to casually walk barefoot. Booties or some sort of shoe would be recommended. If life at a site is poor for snorkling, there are plenty of others neary to try.

I snorkled in Cozumel and found things worth seeing from shore entry but not enough to suggest going there for that purpose. If you go to Coz/Cancun/etc to snorkle, I suggest a trip to xel-ha water park. It will be crowded. A boat trip will be ok to snorkle but you will not be close to the life. You will be able to swim to the top of the reef but only to swim by. I don't reccomend it as a snorkling destination.

I can't speak of others until I go. I've heard Turks may be good.

Hey Pratt welcome to ScubaBoard, you might want to post this question here
And Cancun does have great snorkelling and diving [IMO]. Next to Club Med is the start of the second largest reef in the world Punta Nizuc, great snorkeling.
David

Bonaire and Curacao come immediately to mind. Perhaps Aruba too, though not quite in the class of B/C as a dive dest.

Some places on Grand Cayman would work - not off the hotels on 7 mile beach but off the few dive oriented hotels that have shorediving or at the couple of shorediving facilities snorkeling is generally pretty good. Snorkeling was decent off the Reef Resort on the east end of GC, the water by there is shallow inside a fringing reef, just scattered coral inside but I saw lots of stuff including a number of turtles. (The area off Morritt's next door and Compass point may be similar, not sure.)

Coral Gardens Resort on Provo (Turks&Caicos) is said to have really good snorkeling, though I haven't stayed there.

Hi pratt, My name is Matt. I’d like to welcome you to Scuba Board! It’s a really nice place for divers to meet other divers. Take care and Safe Diving. :scubadive

Bonaire is known for its shore diving - altho I haven't been there yet. You probably want to research our Carribean forum.

And it would help to complete your profile...

:biggrinba don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

Back
Top Bottom