Snorkle Use while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is my response as well, ue snorkle when appropriate. If seas calm, I enjoy just floating. If seas too choppy, using a snorkle doesn't help as water get it it then. Thanks for the reply.
A snorkel, when used by a diver who knows how, works just fine in choppy seas. Ever been under a Coast Guard Helicopter? That's a very choppy environment but whenever you see a Coast Guard rescue diver, he's using a snorkel.

This is my response as well, ue snorkle when appropriate. If seas calm, I enjoy just floating. If seas too choppy, using a snorkle doesn't help as water get it it then. Thanks for the reply.

Hi R A Diver,

1+ what Thal says about a snorkel in choppy water. The rougher the surface conditions, the more I want my snorkel. It is only on flat-calm shore dives with a <50 yard surface swim that I'll occasionally leave it behind. Where I dive it is rarely that calm, so I usually have a snorkel on my mask.

There is a (small) learning curve to the proper positioning and use of a snorkel. I've been in VERY rough water with a snorkel on (no scuba). The snorkel raises and helps protect your airway. Will water get into it? Yes, but with proper technique this is no big deal. In an upright position with a snorkel I can effectively raise my airway by maybe 6", and face it away from wind chop (snorkel tilted back). I'll get many more "good breaths" with a snorkel in these conditions than without.

Best wishes.

I will not dive without one, unless I am in a cavern.

Surface swims.
Waves to the face after the dive, awaiting pickup by the boat.
I like moist air after a dive even if I have lots of gas remaining.
I just feel a lot more comfortable with it.

Personal preference.

Indispensable during a beach dive though.

I just feel a naked fool without one.

Chug

I haven't found much use for a snorkle off the NC coast. The boats use what they call a Carolina Rig" - I presume it's used elsewhere as it is pretty simple and makes sense. They trail a 100ft line attached to a float off the stern. This is connected to a line that runs down to the hangbar off the starboard. At the other end of the hangbar is a line that runs to the anchor line. Once you splash, you hold onto the trail line and then follow it to the anchor. I haven't felt the need to use a snorkle during either the movement to the down lines or the movement back to the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom