So, how many have heard of a ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very few. Not in dictionary, not found anywhere on the Web.

Two meanings for the prefix uro: urine (as in urology) and tail or posterior part (as in urochordate, a tailed amphibian). My guess is that you've made up a word to describe the warming effect of a certain in-wetsuit activity. Am I close?

Also of interest: urinant, which refers to diving, head downward (from the Latin urinari, to plunge). Divers who descend head first are urinators!

Zept

you got it... It differs from a thermocline or reverse thermocline in that it is the warm spot you find in your wetsuit on overly cold or long dives. An instructor friend told that one tonight, as we were listening to a Divemaster rattle on about thermoclines for a class. The kids thought it was pretty funny! So did I!!! :tease:

Ha!

Urotherm might be a better word, because cline just means a gradient, whereas thermo means temperature. I could speculate about how a urocline (a urine gradient) might occur, but I'd rather not go there!

Z

there might be more accurate "names" for this... but the bewildered look on the Divemaster's face (in front of an OW class for the first time, mind you) when I raised my hand and asked him what a "Urocline" was, was just "classic". The instructor that had whispered it to me did not realise that I would put the joke to such quick use. He will probably NOT make the same mistake twice. Not with me, anyway.

While I enjoy a good joke, this one hit me just right. I was almost on the floor with laughter as the kids and this Divemaster tried to figure it out. I had already hit them with halocline, so they were really expecting it to be legit... Apparently the instructor had a urologist in a class last year that coined the term. Too funny!

You are nothing but trouble :wink:. Can't believe anyone is willing to let you sit in on their class... they ought to know better!

Z

cracked me up - I liked metridium's answer as well...

[stroking white beard and rubbing bald pate] Ya, ya, a very interesting phenomenon caused by immersion diuresis, nicht wahr?:doctor:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom