Socorro March 10-20th!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ft.lauderdale diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just booked an 11 day liveaboard for 11 days in early March. Looking for some opinions of folks who have been on this trip in at or around this time. I need to figure out the best thermal protection option. I am used to diving in sunny south Florida where February water temps are no lower than 71 and comparable air temps. I have also been told by some that I will be snorkeling when the humpback whales are surfacing with their young.

According to various sites the average air temp is in the mid to upper 60's and water in the high 60's very low 70's.

would you:

dive in in a dry suit?
dive in a 7mm with a hood?
dive in a 5 mm with a heated vest?

I only want to bring one option with me so I welcome your perspective and rationale
thanks!

Last edited:
Bear in mind that all the weather people are calling for the biggest El Nino ever for this winter. Temps in the Pacific may be much higher than normal. It would probably be best to wait until late Feb before making a decision on what wetsuit to bring.

Hi

The water in that part of the world is definitely warming up during 2015. I've just returned from Cocos where the water was an unusually toasty 29C on most dives. People who had brought 7 or 8mm of wetsuit were getting uncomfortably warm on the dives!

I was in Socorro this year, pretty much the same weeks you are looking at next year. i wore 5mm wetsuit + 1mm vest + hood and found this spot on.I would discard thoughts of dry suit or heated vest, but agree with ASA400 about delaying your decision until nearer departure.

cheers
John

I was in Socorro in March in 2013. 7 mm, adding a hooded vest for the afternoon dives worked fine. Temps ranged from 71 to 77 depending on the island. It's hard for me to be "too warm" so I'm better warmer than colder. Also agree on the 2015-2016 ocean temp warming predictions, so wait to make final decision would be my 2 cents as well. Personal choice for you: 5 mm and vest/hooded vest or 7mm and same layering when needed. We did end up diving with the whales because if we came across them on the dive, we just stayed down. When we saw them from the panga, snorkeling it was. Amazing trip and wonderful diving. We were on the Solmar V and the staff could not have been better.

Rob

thanks everyone for your feedback.. Definitely leaning toward the 5MM. I actually don't own a 7MM or a 5 MM and I would use the 5MM more here in Florida in the cooler months so that's appears to be the winner. Will also bring a thicker hood, neoprene vest and Heated Thermalution vest along so I have more options. I'd rather layer than have one big bulky 7MM. And it appears as the drysuit is definitely not making the trip from all the feedback But, as you all have said I will wait until the time gets closer, but I'm thinking what I outlined gives me the best flexibility to add extra when needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom