Soft vs Hard Goodman Handle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are advantages and disadvantages to both from a user standpoint. I have a Light Monkey that came with a soft handle. I added a Halcyon Goodman handle to it when my Halcyon bought the farm. I normally dive this as might light of choice. Currently, the cord needs replacing so I'm using a Finn Sub light with a soft handle. A soft handle wouldn't be considered DIR because you won't have the ability to easily switch hands or clip it and return it to use in the left hand as AJ stated.

The light head feels less secure with the soft handle. But, a soft handle does provide more of a "hands free" experience. Routing the light cord under the long hose before securing the light to the hand will eliminate the problem of having to un-X the crossed long hose and light cord during gas donation. You may want to illuminate the SPG as well because you will lose the ability to easily transfer the light to your right hand to shine light on your pressure gauge to view it. If you leave the light on the hand and reach for the SPG or rear dump valve be aware that you may inadvertently flash the light in the eyes of any divers following you. While not DIR more and more tech/cave divers are switching to soft handles because they come with many lights that are being purchased.

If you are having a problem with your hand being too small to comfortably wear a Goodman, chances are you could find an adjustment point on the soft handle that would allow you to grip it yet easily pull your hand out and it would allow you to perform skills the DIR way. I have to work my hand out, but it does so with little delay.

I have slightly smaller hands than most other people my size and run into this slightly ...

My hard handle is sized that if my palm is flat and facing down, it will slide off no problem. If I slightly curve my hand, the handle stays in place.

Once in a while on a dive, I do slide it back up my palm back to the crotch of my thumb, as it can slide down to the base of the knuckles.

You may need a smaller handle, and it isn't too hard to bend a new bracket to accommodate a lower height. a few $$ at the hardware store for a piece of stock 1/8" aluminum (I've made a few handles over the years for friends with handle unfriendly lights)

As for Hard vs Soft, hard all the way. You do need to be able to move the light quickly in situations, Fumbling with a soft handle and then it's securing method. How do you stow it currently? (when you need your hands .. wetnotes, smb deployment, gas switches, exit/entry, etc)

_R

I use the UWLD soft goodman. It comes on and off easily since it has a hard top to it. That is very different than a light sock. I like the Oxycheq light socks for handheld lights.
The key to using any goodman imho is to have a piece of bungee on the back to hold onto your wrist. It takes no effort to put on your hand and it's optional when you swap it to the other hand, but it prevents the light from slipping out. My major objection to hard goodman's is that you have to really hold the bar otherwise it can slide off of your hand. The bungee limits the ability of the handle to slide off. VERY important with handheld lights without a cord

I haven't yet found a soft handle that I really like. I can't tolerate it so floppy that I can't aim the light accurately. I can't tolerate it so tight that I can't quickly remove it to hold temporarily in my other hand and replace it in the original hand. The one I liked best is sort of a hybrid soft-hard, with a small aluminum plate on which a rigid c-clip is mounted, and a soft loop underneath to put one's hand through. I think it came from Piranha along with my Dorcy lights.

I use a hard Goodman with my can light, though I have never really liked that, either. Talk about non-ergonomic! Surely they can come up with something that fits a human hand better and more comfortably than a U-shaped metal bracket? The bracket is adjustable vertically but there is no way to adjust the horizontal width to more snugly fit a smaller, un-gloved hand. I modified it by putting some soft neoprene underneath the hand support and a piece of Delrin to narrow the width.

So it sounds like the requirements of a soft handle are some kind of loop to clip it off and it has to be able to be quickly removed and replaced without struggling. I just really like the stability of the soft handle as it is a lot more form fitting and doesn't slide around at all.

I do like the idea of Adding small amount of neoprene to a hard handle for appropriate sizing and comfort.

While wearing dry-gloves the goodman handle will roll down while diving. What I did was add a rubber hose onto the handle to thicken it, which reduced the rolling affect. This also helped reduce fatigue since I was always having to grip it tightly to keep it from rolling.

So it sounds like the requirements of a soft handle are some kind of loop to clip it off and it has to be able to be quickly removed and replaced without struggling. I just really like the stability of the soft handle as it is a lot more form fitting and doesn't slide around at all.

I do like the idea of Adding small amount of neoprene to a hard handle for appropriate sizing and comfort.
Fwiw i also think there's a tendency to make the hard goodman handle too tight.

I agree with Boaty. I have the DGX soft Goodman and don't like it at all.

I recently took tbone's advice and got an Oxycheq Raider light sock (I only have cordless lights - no can). It is the bomb. I can put it on my hand and take it off easily. It stays on no problem until I want to take it off. The bolt snap on the light butt lets me take the whole thing off my hand and clip it off to a chest D-ring easily. I can change it from one hand to the other with no trouble.

I use lights that have a push button on/off, so I no longer have to worry about whether the sock will hold it tight enough to turn on a twist light.

I have Xtar D26 and DGX 600 lights and they fit well in the Oxycheq Raider 1 sleeve.

I have Xtar D26 and DGX 600 lights and they fit well in the Oxycheq Raider 1 sleeve.

I just ordered the Raider light sock, I got the Raider I&II so I hope that was the one to use with the D26. There was also the Raider III, but I got the I&II

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom