Sogod Bay info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peppolalli

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Ciao everyone,
planning to go to South Leyte first half of next march.
Any advise for accomodations and dive operators in the area ?
Tks in advance.

Been to Sogod Bay December 26-30, 2010. The more prominent dive operators are Sogod Bay Scuba Resort (australian owned), Southern Leyte Dive Center (caters to mostly europeans), and Peter's Dive (I'm not sure if its american owned, but definitely owned by a foreigner). All of whom offers reasonable accomodation.

We stayed however at Kuting Reef Resort, which has no diving operations but would drop us off and pick us up at the end of the day at Sogod Bay Scuba Resort for our diving requirements. I wouldn't recommend however staying at Kuting Resort, and you'd be better off if you would just stay at the particular Dive Resort who'll be handling your diving activities. and by the way, Sogod Bay Scuba Resort has excellent food, M sure you'd love it!

Hello,

I went to Sogod bay and Malapascua in Feb 2010. To be honest I didn't think the Sth Leyte diving was all that great. There seemed to be very few fish compared to other places I've dived in SE Asia and we didn't have much luck searching for Whalesharks. We saw the famous frog fish which was nice but other than that I don't have any highlights. Malapascua on the other hand was brilliant - we had a great dive off monad shoal with the Threshers and several fantastic dives off Gato island (lots of reef sharks, sea snakes, mating cuttlefish, schooling squid, eagle ray)

Is there anything in particular you want to see in Sth Leyte? If it's snorkelling with Whale Sharks I'd recommend Donsol. If it's just good diving near Cebu I'd recommend a combination of Malapascua / Moalbol (schooling sardines)

Thank you sooo much guys.

As I can see no new dive resort in the area, always same names that I knew. :)

Peters Resort in Sogod is well regarded. March is a good time for whale sharks.
Peter's Dive Resort Philippines: Scuba Diving in Sogod Bay, Southern Leyte
Donsol is better for whale sharks, but no scuba, flash or video lights allowed.

My whale shark story is there was one at Richeleau Rock when I was diving there, but my buddy got panicky and we had to go up before I saw it. Waahhh. No whale shark pics.

Donsol is better for whale sharks, but no scuba, flash or video lights allowed.

When I was in Donsol we dived at a site called "The Manta Bowl". decended into strong current, used a reef hook to stay on a plateau for 30mins and saw nothing :) About 2 years later I saw an article saying it's a top dive site. I wonder if I was just unlucky

I dived with Peters Peter's Dive Resort Philippines: Scuba Diving in Sogod Bay, Southern Leyte in Southern Leyte last January and had a great time. Enjoyed the diving, especially the night dive at the Padre Burgos Jetty. That stands out as one of the better dive spots in the Philippines that I've dived.

They had great dives on the house reef. Nice night dives, pygmy seahorses, nudibranchs, the usual suspects :wink:

Another dive spot that really stood out was Napantao on the other side of the bay from the resorts. It has a terrific wall where we spotted everything from nudibranchs to frogfish. Along with whitetip reef sharks along the top of the wall. If not for the long boat ride I could have dived it every day I was there :) (I did go there 2 different days, it was that good). The first dive there a whaleshark was spotted at a depth of around 25 meters, but the guide said that was luck as they were rarely spotted there. Unfortunately I was higher up the wall photographing nudibranchs. The whaleshark went right beneath me and I never saw it :(

I believe that Sogod Bay is still one of the few places that you can scuba with whalesharks. They are more common at certain times of year. Like Monad Shoal and Thresher Sharks at Malpascua though, there is no guarantee that you will see them. I would say the odds are more in your favor the longer you stay though :wink:

If you really want to see a whaleshark, the most reliable places will be Southern Leyte or Donsol. They are also being spotted in Moalboal recently as well. Like has been said though, there are never guarantees... it's more of a percentages game :wink:

If you're going to be there for 2 weeks, I would try to do a week in Southern Leyte and a week at Malpascua or Moalboal depending on what you are into. If you want to cut down on travel time, then fly into Cebu and at least 7 dive days at Malpascua and then finish up either with Moalboal or take the fast ferry to Bohol or Dumaguete from Cebu... again depending on what you are into.

I just got back from 2 weeks in the Philippines. I went to Malpascua my first week, where I dived with Matt and David at Evolution Diving. Evolution Diving The Natural Selection You can't go wrong with them. You'll get personalized attention and they are constantly out looking for new sites. I spent a week and a half in Malapascua on a previous trip and saw a lot more this time while doing less than half as many dives. The also have great food and a nice bar :wink:

In Moalboal, I liked Nelson's Moalboal OSP Locally owned and operated and the best prices you'll likely find anywhere (800 pesos per dive with your own equipment). I stayed right next door at Eve's Kiosk, which also happens to be Nelson's sister :wink:

In Bohol I recommend Alona Divers Welcome to Alona Divers Website Ask for Emer as your guide. A great guy :)

In Dauin/Dumaguete I would recommend Mikes Mikes Dauin Beach Resort - Dumaguete, Philippines Very quite, nice place to relax, and great macro opportunities there in Dauin :)

The second week I went to Subic, but I doubt that would be a place you would be interested in as that is mostly wreck diving there. I dived with the guys from Subic Scuba College. They came right to where I was staying on Baloy Beach near Freeport. Talk about personalized service :wink: I made 8 dives over 2 days and managed I think most of the more famous wrecks in Subic Bay :)

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll have a great time diving in the Philippines :)

I dived with Peters Peter's Dive Resort Philippines: Scuba Diving in Sogod Bay, Southern Leyte in Southern Leyte last January and had a great time.
Another dive spot that really stood out was Napantao on the other side of the bay from the resorts.

In Moalboal, I liked Nelson's Moalboal OSP Locally owned and operated and the best prices you'll likely find anywhere (800 pesos per dive with your own equipment). I stayed right next door at Eve's Kiosk, which also happens to be Nelson's sister :wink:

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll have a great time diving in the Philippines :)
Can't agee more.

To be honest I didn't think the Sth Leyte diving was all that great. There seemed to be very few fish compared to other places I've dived in SE Asia and we didn't have much luck searching for Whalesharks.

Just back from Sth Leyte and I counldn't agree more with the above quote. :depressed:
No whale shark this time so dive spots are "poor" in comparison to other places in the Philippines.
Yes, nice food and good service @ Sogod Bay SR, but Philippines can give you more than Sth Leyte in my opinion.

Anyway, everything is good for a better understanding about dive spots around the world, this one on a scale from one to ten is only 3/4 without whale shark. :depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom