Solar Powered Diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Blue Whale

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just saw this post on facebook and wanted to share... looks like a roller suitcase with a little compressor built in and solar panels on the outside with a coiled air hose coming out providing air to the diver below... powered by the sun !!!

"The Nautilus kit is a new diving system that uses solar energy.
can remain submerged indefinitely. It ecolgico, tough, unsinkable, always load it and ready to use. Its powerful engines allow you to download up to 30 meters.

It can use in recreational activities in cleaning boats, cleaning pools. In search jobs etc ...

Nautilus kit is a patented product
lareliquia.angulo@gmail.com"

"The Nautilus kit is a new diving system that uses solar energy.
can remain submerged indefinitely. It ecolgico, tough, unsinkable, always load it and ready to use. Its powerful engines allow you to download up to 30 meters.

This seems really dubious. What happens when you're at 30 meters and the sun goes in? It's also hard to believe that a solar array of that size could provide enough power to power the size compressor you would need to pump enough air to 30 meters. 3 meters maybe.

no batteries, or other energy storage then it will not work , shadow
... and I have serious doubts as to any solar cell that can supply even the tiniest bit of the power required to run a compressor

I had two- 2ftx4ft panels on my RV. I would run the TV, lights (flourecent), and laptop for 4-5 hour a night. It took about 5-6 hours to recharge the battery the next day, in desert sunlight. I don't see how that little panel can replace the power consumed by a compressor.

Agree with the skepticism and realize that the 30 meter is probably a misquote... You can see from the coiled air hose that it's more like 3.0 meter depth. That would make this ok for clearing a prop under the boat.

I have been diving at 55 ft when a Brownie's Third Lung stopped and did the free ascent to the surface... it's not something you want to be surprised with very often. It will be interesting to see if this 'solar powered' concept gets any traction with divers or the yachting crowd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom