Solo and Redundant Computer(or how is most solo diving done?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with two, Vyper on one wrist and Vytec on the other.

Occasionally I am using the Vytec for gas switching on deep dives (EAN50 from 20M to surface), however since I started using my second computer I ran both at the beginning to compare them (Also did the same with my daughter's Zoop) I get used to having two computers and makes life easier when photographing underwater (My computers are set facing me inside my wrists to read easier while holding a housing - tip from a fellow photographer many years ago).

I did consider sorting some sort of mount for one on my housing but never made any more progress on that idea

One PDC, dive profile/plan on slate from tables, a watch a analog depth gauge and SPG for backup.

There is one single reason why an unexpected computer failure would put you in danger - the complexity of the dive is beyond the capabilities of the diver to complete safely without electronic aid.

There are three solutions;

1) Resort to redundancy of the electronic aid, as an insurance to retain a supplementary capacity that ensures safe diving outcomes.

2) Decrease the complexity of the dive to within your capability parameters

3) Vice-versa, increase your capability parameters to meet the needs of the dive.

It really is that simple.

Supplement skills to match demands, decrease demands to match skills or increase skills to match demands.

I rarely dive with a redundant computer but I always carry a spare in my save-a-dive kit. First, I have found my computers to be quite reliable. So, unless one is new (to me) and needs to be checked out or starts showing some sign of failure (law battery alert), I just dive a single computer. When I get a low battery alert, I add my 2nd computer and dive both of them for 24 hours. I did have one computer failure (my fault) early in a Cozumel trip. I switched to my backup during the SI and stayed on the conservative side of my dive buddy for the next couple dives (24 hours). BTW, when I am doing dives that I know will be quite conservative and I have no real need for depth or time information from my computer, I usually just dive my SPG.

When diving solo and pushing NDLs like on a liveaboard, I have added the 2nd computer just so I won't have to sacrifice too much dive time in the event of a computer failure.

I always dive with a VT3 (wrist wireless) and a Cobalt (hose console) regardless whether it's a planned solo dive or not. I started diving with 2 computers soon after I got OW cert 12 years ago because I do a lot of live-aboard trips and I would hate to have to sit out a day. The VT3 is my primary simply because it's more efficient to check it on my left wrist (facing inward because I carry my camera housing in my left hand) than to check the Cobalt console which I keep tethered close or in my right pocket.

Thanks for the many responses. Redundancy on the depth gauge and SPG is indeed a good possible reason. I personally use an analog console as my backup for those. Some of the responses did confuse me a bit on the basic assumptions of a "Solo Dive". I thought a Solo dive was only appropriate in a non-overhead environment. If this is true why are Decostops an issue on a solo dive? Shouldn't you be far enough away from your NDL that anything more than a 3 minute mandatory safety stop is all you need.
Maybe I spend too much time looking at my gauges and computer and not enough at the scenery, but I'd know within 30 seconds if the CPU bit it and have a pretty good idea of what the last NDL number was.
Again thanks for the feedback so far.

I have my computer + a uwatec bottom timer. Doesn't matter if I am diving solo or not, if my computer fails the dive is over.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom