solo cert's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got certified Solo through SDI the only one I could find. You need a minimum of 125 dives to take the course. There is nothing in the way of course materials only some recomended reading suggestions are given by the instructor. I would highly recommend anyone taking this course to have considerable expierance in many dive situations not just Tropical Travel diving before attempting to go Solo. No matter waht card you have you still need to be self sufficient which in my opinion comes from a variety of dive conditions. Just My opinion...though

willardj:
Most of all it would be good to see other peoples views and other ways of doing things. I mite look in on taking this class. Thanks.
willardj

This is an excerpt from another post I just made in this forum. The requirements I've found from my LDS (who is sanctioned from SDI/TDI) for the Solo Diver Certificate are as follows:

Prerequisites:

Must be 21 years old.
Candidates must be certified as Advanced Open Water Diver.
Have a current medical examination and a complete Medical Diving Release.
Have a minimum of 100 logged dives.

Required Equipment:

Mask, fins & snorkel
BC with low-pressure power inflator
Regulator with submersible pressure gauge or air integrated hoseless computer.
Redundant air source (pony bottle, twin cylinders w/isolation, independent doubles.)
Weight system
Personal dive computer
Exposure suit adequate for the training conditions.
Compressed air cylinder
Compass
Knife
Surface audible signaling device.
Visual rescue signal

Subject Areas Covered:

Why should we dive Solo?
Who should Solo dive?
Solo Diving Mentality
When not to dive solo.
Equipment for solo diving.
Planning and conducting a solo dive.
Navigation
Skill Performance

Hope this helps you in your decision.

paolov:
would a PADI Resort honor a Solo Cert. Card?

Probably not from SDI/TDI...

No redundant air source covered in that course? There should be a max placed on depth as well.

There are places that as long as you have proven abilities will let you solo dive....

Ron

Ron Brandt:
Probably not from SDI/TDI...

No redundant air source covered in that course? There should be a max placed on depth as well.

There are places that as long as you have proven abilities will let you solo dive....

Ron

The SDI Solo Course I recently took was primarily focused on redundant air sources as well as proving your abilities by going through several mock "situations" in both the pool and on two open water dives.

Notwithstanding, whether or not a PADI resort would honor another agency's specialty certification remains an interesting question.

It's not nearly so much about whether it's a PADI or a NAUI or an XYZ facility. It IS about the mindset of the owner. (or in some cases, lack thereof)

Some show a high degree of open mindedness and may want to size you up for a dive before letting you wander off on your own. Others may look at what other certs you have to get some idea of your overall (at least implied) abilities and decide based on that. Still others show a cultlike adherance to certain totally bizzare off the wall and totally arbitrary rules and ideas, and no amout of facts, logic or sensible argument is going to change anything.

Ask a lot of questions before you give your CC number. Expect a reasonable number in return.

Am I the only one who went out on a boat was not assigned a buddy and just started diving solo that way? I dive in NY Vis is low I go deep below 90 and no one ever says who is you buddy have been on several boats and it seems a lot of us on the boat are diving solo. You cannot see anyone once you get in vis here is 15 tops on a good day If I go on vacation will it be different?

I know of places that not only honor it but they started renting pony bottles to certified solo divers. It goes like this. You are allowed to solo dive if you have the cert and you must have a pony bottle which they, of course are happy to rent to you. LOL Oh, if you don't have the cert they just happened to have an instructor on hand that can provide that too. I even know of a PADI shop (a 5 star store BTW) who had 2 of their PADI instructors cross over to SDI so they could offer the solo class.

Back
Top Bottom