Solo diver missing - Pulau satang island, Malaysia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIP..
what saddens me the most is that she was not dead underwater but instead most likely spent her last days eagerly hoping for search parties to find her...

I assumed she died from dehydration rather than any injury or scuba related.
Look it up on" terminal dehydration".

So sad. Was there any rain at all in the days she was out there?

Peter Morse survived being lost at sea by taking off his gears and swimming to the nearest island of Malpelo, Colombia. 2 of his Colombian buddies were rescued by US Navy after spotting them floating with SMB, 2 days later. The DM and another buddy were never found.

The lesson there is to swim to nearest island before thirsty setting in, as drinking sea water is the lasting you would ever do. Also, make sure you have signaling devices.

4 diveres went missing - Malpelo, Colombia

The strange part of the theory that she was lost at sea and succumbed to the elements is that she did not have her fins or BC on when they recovered her body. It did not mention if she still had her mask or not. If you are lost at sea I don’t see a scenario where you would ditch your BC or fins. Tank and weights, yes, but everything else, not likely. Of course these things could have come off some time after she died but I’m not sure how likely that is.

The strange part of the theory that she was lost at sea and succumbed to the elements is that she did not have her fins or BC on when they recovered her body. It did not mention if she still had her mask or not. If you are lost at sea I don’t see a scenario where you would ditch your BC or fins. Tank and weights, yes, but everything else, not likely. Of course these things could have come off some time after she died but I’m not sure how likely that is.
Make sense, indeed.

If I were her, I would keep my mask, BCD & fins, ditch the tank & weights (assuming she did not carry any signaling devices) and start swimming to the nearest island. If she had a dive computer with built-in compass (I do), just start swimming southwards.

Make sense, indeed.

If I were her, I would keep my mask, BCD & fins, ditch the tank & weights (assuming she did not carry any signaling devices) and start swimming to the nearest island. If she had a dive computer with built-in compass (I do), just start swimming southwards.
If it’s an aluminum 80 tank it would provide up to about 6 lbs of buoyancy, which could become useful in a lost at sea scenario. But I’m n a swimming for the shore scenario it would create a lot of drag and might be better if it was ditched.

If it’s an aluminum 80 tank it would provide up to about 6 lbs of buoyancy, which could become useful in a lost at sea scenario. But I’m n a swimming for the shore scenario it would create a lot of drag and might be better if it was ditched.

Same goes for BCD and, if you're better at breaststroke: fins.

Strange thing happens when you are dying from dehydration.
I posted a thread on the topic but was removed.
I hope the family is not reading this!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom