Solo diving in overhead environments

Do you solo dive in an overhead environment?

• No way, Jose!

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • I will run up some deco obligation

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • I will do some penetration (Wreck, Cave etc)

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I will run up some deco obligation and do some penetration on the same dive

Votes: 45 39.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do some solo cave diving. I try to buddy up, but if I can't find someone I'm going anyway. When I do, I take greater precautions, like a buddy bottle, and limit the jumps and penetration.

I've done both. I actually got hung up inside a wreck while solo once. Had to doff my equipment, clear the obstruction, and don my equipment before exiting. I've got independent redundant air sources with plenty of reserve anytime I have a soft or hard ceiling.

AL

I solo cave dive and do rack up deco. I also dive sidemount, which gives me added redundancy. If I'm solo scootering (yes, I do that too), I'll bring a buddy bottle with me.

No deco, no overhead. But then I'm doing my solo diving with a single AL80 as my only air source, with my redundant air source being the atmosphere 40-60' above me.

Ditto.

I dive a single AL80, most often in the 20-40 foot range in clear tropical water, and never deeper than 60' if I'm solo, because like Charlie99 the clear blue sky is my redundancy.

I'm in awe of those of you who do deep, dark and cold (and overhead!) solo.... that's well beyond my solo comfort level for sure!

Safe Diving.

I solo dive 95% of the time, and the only overhead environments I accept are deco-based. I often go into deco, and may do multiple deco dives in a day... but all deco obligations are far exceeded for safety. I don't do penetrations except of one type that I'm restricted from discussing due to my desire not to offend (why start that now?) with prurient details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom