Solo diving in overhead environments

Do you solo dive in an overhead environment?

• No way, Jose!

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • I will run up some deco obligation

Votes: 11 9.7%
  • I will do some penetration (Wreck, Cave etc)

Votes: 28 24.8%
  • I will run up some deco obligation and do some penetration on the same dive

Votes: 45 39.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now, here's my curve ball question!

How many people have done a course such as the SDI solo diver course, or any technical diving course that talks about diving solo.

I know, for example, that the SDI solo diver course explictly states that solo diving in any overhead environment is not such a great idea..... Yet around 80% of solo divers (myself included) here are quite happy doing just that.

If I wouldn't make a dive solo, I wouldn't make it with a buddy.

Why would you think SDI is qualified to offer a solo class?

I have seen environments, particularly in tight spaces, where bringing another person would make the situation more dangerous, not less. As for general solo, my favorite thing in the world is to drift through kelp in the Pacific, all by myself.

I am more traditionally trained, always with the "never dive alone" rule. I taught for NAUI, TDI and others, and never told a student anything other than the party line of diving with a buddy. When I did it alone, it was a very private experience and I think it's safe to say that few saw me doing it or knew of it. Remember when Lloyd Bridges used to dive alone in Sea Hunt? One of my favorite shows while I was growing up. He did a book on the subject and said "the only way he could get into trouble so badly on the show was to be alone, and that nobody should do it".

Fast forward to diving inside a sunken wreck half filled with silt. Sorry, there's hardly room for one, much less two. Some cave passages are that way too.

So, I never taught it, I never advocated it, but I have to say that it is one of my favorite things to do. And that when I did, it was done quietly and privately. So I guess I am a closet-solo-diver and this is a "coming out" message?

How many people have done a course such as the SDI solo diver course, or any technical diving course that talks about diving solo.

I know, for example, that the SDI solo diver course explictly states that solo diving in any overhead environment is not such a great idea..... Yet around 80% of solo divers (myself included) here are quite happy doing just that.

The SDI course is a recreational course I believe? Therefore they can not "allow" overhead environments.

Personally I like the NACDs stance on solo diving.

"The NACD does not condone or disapprove of solo diving and believes that individuals have the right to make decisions to dive within their limitations in the manner they choose so long as other divers and the environment is not damaged"

(page 118 of NACD cavern/cave diver workbook)

Actually if you ponder it, any diving in an overhead environment would probably not qualify as "great idea" . But we do many things in life that are not great ideas. Heck if we limited ourselves only to stuff that were great ideas, we'd probably be very bored. Actually boredom is probably the reason a lot of stupid ideas are enacted upon.

AL

i took the sdi course

it was not a course to teach me how to solo dive
my pass was only because on that day i successfully completed the activities/ carried the items that a self sufficient diver should be able to do/ carry if i was by myself

example: planning, bouyancy, cutter, knife etc

to me if i am in the wreck and get tangled and for whatever reason i can't get myself out at some point my main + redundancy is going to run out
and, there may not be another passer by that day to help me
and, the only other air supply is some meters above me, but i'm stuck

i think it is a worthwhile course even if you are not going to solo dive

I selected "some penetration" but only because I have done a cavern or two solo, and might do a large swimthru on a wreck solo (haven't solo'd a wreck yet). But in general, whether solo or not, I avoid overhead situations and am 98% strictly warm open water, non-deco, single-tank diving.

I am currently working towards the SDI Solo cert, but trying to build good skills first.

>*< Fritz

Its not something I do on a regular basis. But I did a 55 meter dive solo 2 weeks ago with some limited cavern penetration towards the end.
It was one of the most relaxing dives I have done in a long time.
Never done any sort of solo course and dont intend too either.

I would like to take the class, just so some of the quarries/lakes/ops in my area will allow me to dive solo. I don't know if I would ever do more than basic wreck swim throughs or poke my head in a cave solo, but who knows. Like was stated earlier, boredom leads to risk taking! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom