solo diving ordinance and local regulations attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been and still do dive in Southern Cal. I have enjoyed many of the local dive boats as well as using my own for a number of yrs. I have probably a quarter of my dives as a solo diver with no challenge from anyone, with the exception of a DM that didnt have knowledge of my experiance level. I also have enjoyed free diving for a number of yrs and havnt had a problem with that sport either.
If I am solo diving I use redundancy as a partner and I have a depth rule related to ESA,s and where I can accomplish them from without difficulty.
Bill

rat314:
I e-mailed the Missouri Water Patrol department to clarify Missouri states position on solo diving. Missouri has no regulations against solo diving, but the Patrol's represestative did stress the importance of using a high quality dive flag...and surfacing within 50 yards of it. A good reminder for everyone perhaps.
Dave

Golly, why did I buy all that redundant gear and learn how to bail me out of an unforseen circumstance if all I needed was a good flag? I've already got one of those.

I guess that's why I need some government xxx to tell me how to be safe. I probably would have never figured THAT out on my own. Thank GOD I have a govrrnment that knows what's best for me!

FYI, the Laguna Beach ordinance is in place so that lifeguards can close the beaches due to hazardous conditions (whatever they deem hazardous) and you must be warned personally before you enter the water and then disregard that warning before they can issue you a citation that will be valid.
No warning, no violation.

Daylonious:
Anyone know of Texas regulations?

D.

Texas has no rule against solo diving--I guess we don't need a nanny down here!

I mean really, if someone wants to solo dive regardless of their training, then why the hell not? It's there life, it's up to the individual to get the proper training to be self sufficient in the water. I don't see how it's the governments business how you risk killing yourself as long as it doesn't endanger others. Before you know it you have to wear a helmet to go jogging on the highway, or pay a yearly permit... That's how rediculous this subject is. Sorry if I'm being a troll. Just think some know it all is trying to make everyone's decision for them.

caver_c3606:
I find it interesting that the last 2 deaths at the scuba park I dive at was divers with a buddy at arms length (heart attack) dead is dead buddy or not. If you are properly trained as a solo diver carry the proper redundant gear then your probably safer than being paired with a buddy you never met, don't know if he is going to kill you in a panic situation or help you if you get into trouble. Me personally I like diving with a friend I trust and diving solo if it don't know who I'm with.

Well said. Made me think of diving with my wife who dives less and has much less training. Before anyone makes a comment--I dive to her comfort level. Anyways, I wouldn't want her to risk killing herself to save me if something happened. And diving with someone you don't know or trust is the worst. On trips I can't stand getting force buddied when I'm not diving with my wife. Just a tip, I usually let the DM know up front that I'm diving along, they usually request to buddy up with you--that's okay for me.

Michigan state law does not require that scuba divers have a "dive buddy." The only Michigan statutes that directly address diving require the use of a dive flag and assign all risks to those engaged in scuba diving.

You should note that nothing in Michigan law prevents a local unit of government from requiring a "dive buddy." If you plan to dive alone in Michigan, you should check with local law enforcement before doing so.

Sgt. Thomas Deasy
Michigan State Police
Executive Resource Section
714 S. Harrison Rd.
East Lansing, MI 48823
(517) 336-6441

The no solo diving rule in Laguna is why I stopped diving 13 years ago (at least in Laguna). I used to solo dive Cress St every week and when the ordinance went into effect, and I got stopped I gave up. Being self employed and therefore being able to dive mid-week and mid-day, made it very difficult to dive with a buddy.

Since I dive with at 13cft pony, and have over a 100 beach dives in Laguna alone, I feel I'm "qualified" to solo dive in Laguna. Funny thing is, I know my instructor always said he was a solo diver every time he took a student into the ocean.

Daylonious:
Anyone know of Texas regulations?

D.

Daylon You just need to make sure you carry your concealed hand gun permit if your packin' :wink:

In Florida, Devils Den, Troy Spring and the spring across the way from Devils Den (they have an underwater air bell) turned me away while soloing.

Robert Phillips:
FYI, the Laguna Beach ordinance is in place so that lifeguards can close the beaches due to hazardous conditions (whatever they deem hazardous) and you must be warned personally before you enter the water and then disregard that warning before they can issue you a citation that will be valid.
No warning, no violation.

You are referring to Section 18.21.030
INTERESTING!
"(b) Authorized Order to Discontinue Skin Diving or Scuba Diving. Police officers, the city manager, or other employees of the city designated by the city manager to enforce skin diving and scuba diving regulations and control skin diving and scuba diving activities, may prohibit skin diving and scuba diving at any time diving conditions become hazardous as a result storm, congestion of persons, lack of proper equipment (such equipment to include mask, fins, snorkel, buoyancy compensator and diving partner), or other conditions which cause a present danger to the persons skin diving or scuba diving or to others. No person shall fail, refuse or neglect to stop skin diving or scuba diving activities or to leave the water when ordered to do so by any such employee of the city. (Ord. 1157 Sec. 1, 1988: Ord. 506 (part), 1962)."
So, how often is anyone able to sneak into the water undetected and unchallenged there? What about the rest of Orange County? Just curious. I'll be there next month and was thinking I'd need to post on this forum to look for a dive buddy. Maybe I still should?
Also, I am wondering which parts of the ordinance go back to the original 1962 ordinance. I understand the 1962 ordinance was the result of negotiations between the divers and the city (which intended to ban diving altogether).

CrazyYak:
Texas has no rule against solo diving--I guess we don't need a nanny down here!

I mean really, if someone wants to solo dive regardless of their training, then why the hell not? It's there life, it's up to the individual to get the proper training to be self sufficient in the water. I don't see how it's the governments business how you risk killing yourself as long as it doesn't endanger others. Before you know it you have to wear a helmet to go jogging on the highway, or pay a yearly permit... That's how rediculous this subject is. Sorry if I'm being a troll. Just think some know it all is trying to make everyone's decision for them.

Ever heard of "socialized medicine"?! That's where tax payers get to pay for everyone else's problems. Socialized medicine is used as the arguement to pass helmet and seatbelt laws. (I wear a helmets and seatbelts by choice. The laws are evil IMO, not the concepts). Laws are SUPPOSED to protect liberty, but socialized medicine has provided the loophole. One evil leads to another.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom