solo diving ordinance and local regulations attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i talked top my lds and the owner said there are no anti-solo diving laws in america. there may be park rules as some have stated, but no laws. He has been in the industry his entire life; his dad opened the shop in 1956.

juliejeff:
i talked top my lds and the owner said there are no anti-solo diving laws in america. there may be park rules as some have stated, but no laws. He has been in the industry his entire life; his dad opened the shop in 1956.
So you're making a distinction between the city ordinances cited earlier in this thread that have the legal capacity to level a fine against you, and a "law"?

I don't know that any one LDS owner has the ability to speak on behalf of every rule, law and regulation in the entire country, no matter how long they have had a dive shop open.

Laguna Beach: I dove out there last Spring Break, and was made aware of the solo and snorkel regulations. From the LDS shop we went through, we went down a back alley, down a flight of stairs, and jumped into the water. From there, there wasn't a visible enforcer of any regulations, nor a lifeguard. So if you do wish to do a solo, take a walk to the beach, scout it out, look for a lifeguard, and if noone is found, then there's no one to warn you or stop you from diving, which is half their regulation as stated above.

I guess there's some irony in what's happened with the OP since this thread became a sticky ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That sounds like a tale worth telling...

CompuDude:
So you're making a distinction between the city ordinances cited earlier in this thread that have the legal capacity to level a fine against you, and a "law"?

I don't know that any one LDS owner has the ability to speak on behalf of every rule, law and regulation in the entire country, no matter how long they have had a dive shop open.

I am sorry that I did not ask the perfect question with the perfect wording. I spent a couple minutes asking about "legality" and tried to help out here. I guess in the future I will keep my three typing fingers quiet; I have a bad habit of trying to be helpful.

In the Cayman Islands, there is no "law" against solo diving but the C.I. Watersports Operators Association has a rule which prohibits their members (pretty much all dive ops) from allowing solo diving on a "wall dive." I have no idea why there is no similar rule for non-wall dives. If you promise the boat captain that you will not venture out over the wall, will he allow you to solo because he is not violating the rule? Don't bet on it. However, I think the drafting of this rule illustrates that not a lot of thought has been put into the solo diving question - the real concern is the legal liability of the dive ops.

The commercial shore diving places will not rent you a tank if you plan to dive solo.

SDI instructors can, if they want, teach the Solo Diving Course but they have to tell the students they are doing it "to make you a better all-round diver and not to encourage you to dive alone."

All I found for Virginia.

When engaged in snorkeling or scuba operations in waters open to boating, vessels must display a red flag with white diagonal stripe to indicate divers below, and no boat shall pass closer than 25 yards (75 feet) when this flag is displayed. Vessels engaged in diving activity and are restricted in their ability to maneuver, must hoist a blue and white alfa flag.

Laguna Beach has recently changed their policy on responsible diving (according to July California Diving News): divers will use safe diving practices currently accepted by the dive community, all divers ... take full responsibility for their actions. "That being said, you will no longer be expected to have a buddy or snorkel when diving." Just in case go get the CA Diving News and carry it with you on the dive to show the lifeguards. lol

Back
Top Bottom