solo diving ordinance and local regulations attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still can't get my mind around these "laws" that prohibit solo diving. I'd never heard of such a thing until yesterday (9-8-09) on this forum. I've spent some time looking for any such regulation,etc. here in Rhode Island, thankfully I can't find any. I've encountered LEO's after diving solo and nothing was mentioned to me soI guess here in RI we still have a little bit of freedom left. We do live in a world filled with people that can't mind their own business. I hope those that oppress us for our own good here in RI don't catch wind of this, they'll be hot to trot for yet another way to pick our pockets.

I still can't get my mind around these "laws" that prohibit solo diving. I'd never heard of such a thing until yesterday (9-8-09) on this forum. I've spent some time looking for any such regulation,etc. here in Rhode Island, thankfully I can't find any. I've encountered LEO's after diving solo and nothing was mentioned to me soI guess here in RI we still have a little bit of freedom left. We do live in a world filled with people that can't mind their own business. I hope those that oppress us for our own good here in RI don't catch wind of this, they'll be hot to trot for yet another way to pick our pockets.

There are no states that ban it, to my knowledge, just an ever-shrinking handful of city ordinances.

And it is usually a lifeguard who will report/enforce it, not a law enforcement officer as in a policeman.

If there are fines attached to violation, every leo with jurisdiction will "seize" the moment to generate some revenue, at least that's the way it works in little rhody.

Laguna requires a diving buddy...except they don't. I've solo dove there a number of times and I know a number of people who have also solo dove there a number of times without incidence. In fact, they are more likely to stop you for not having a snorkel than for not having a buddy. My understanding from having talked to other divers is they're pretty lax on solo divers as long as they look legit. I.E. if you show up in rental gear from Sport Chalet you might have an issue...but if you show up in all your own gear and a pony they won't hassle you.

Im sick of crap like this. Ive dove solo as a commercial diver for 23 years. And dive solo scuba all the time. What sickens me is people wrecking my rights and creating so called ordinances telling me how to enjoy my time. I will dive solo regardless. Policing people is getting way outta hand. I know some peole likely should not dive alone, but they probably know who they are and dont

Come to Melbourne Aust. There was an ordanance, no entries from piers or breakwaters, walls, probably still is, not enforced. People, kids love it. Solo not an issue. No one really pays much attention. Surfaced in a tube one day, a few feet from a four or five year old girl, very daunting, "Look mummy a diver."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom