solo diving ordinance and local regulations attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I think I would have told him to "Yank this!" It's one thing to notify someone of a regulation, but there's no reason to get in your face and make a federal case out of it. All he had to do was make his point (professionally) and be done with it. I was in Bonaire attempting to get a trumpetfish to move so my son could see it. Didn't even touch the fish, just waved my hand to get him to move. Next thing I know the DM swam over and was waving her finger in a huge, sweeping "no" fashion about 3 inches from my mask. This went on for about 15 seconds. I wanted to snap that damn thing off her hand and take it home as a trophy, but thought better of it as I am, of course, a good father and always try to set a good example for my children.

Alexander Springs in the Ocala National Forest allows solo diving. All they require is a c-card.

Not Texas, but Arkansas has no restrictions on solo diving, and we have a lot of nice, clear, deep lakes (of course, "clear" is in the eye of the beholder), just that you fly a dive flag. I've been stopped by the AR Game and Fish, and all they were concerned with was that I had a dive flag, fishing license, and wasn't shooting the wrong kind of fish. Even though it was obvious I was solo diving, it didn't seem to bother them (they didn't even bring it up).

For Arkansas, you have to fly a dive flag one foot above the water, and the flag must be at least 12" by 12" (I think). The diver must be no farther than 300 feet from the flag, and boats closer than 100 feet must be close to idle. I, being a lifelong Arkansan, love the distance discrepancy. You can dive 300 feet away, but boaters can come as close as 100 feet. That's a 200 ft. gray area I don't want to be in!

Ginnie Springs in Florida allows solo-diving. So does Vortex. I know the state parks don't allow it, but if it's a county park (such as Morrison Springs), it's probably allowed (or not enforced).

There is a sign @ Peacock Springs beside the "iron ranger" that says no solo, but unless you are the only truck in the park the only person to deal with is a nosy instructor with students, or some other self absorbed diver trying to give you some static.
For the most part, mainly cavers dive here, so, solo is not all that unusual.
All that's required is the tag from the $4 honor system payslip, and leave a cert on the dash for a ranger to see.(should they come around in the golf cart...)

...and leave a cert on the dash for a ranger to see.(should they come around in the golf cart...)

"Cert"? What cert? A diver's certification card? No way in hell I'd do that!

Received a response to my inquiry from the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. According to the reply, there are not regulations, ordinances or laws regarding SCUBA in Georgia other than the Boating Safety Act which requires boats to maintain distance from down divers (I believe it to be 100')

I've never had a problem in MN or WI. I get some dirty looks now and then but as far as I see it, solo diving should be my choice.

Back
Top Bottom