Solo diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajtoady

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In searching the different certification outfits, PADI, NAUI , SEI , I have yet to find one that encourages or teaches solo diving. Am I missing an agency or not searching the right ones? Please advise.

I think most are having some sort of solo instruction, you have a lot of divers in your area, you can ask on the dny forum. This way you can get local instruction, and pick your instructor.

Happy Diving

I was actually just curious about it. As far as doing it , I don't at this time have any interest in it. I enjoy the company and assistance both given and received when diving. The other added comfort is the safety factor and having someone to stop and drink a beer with after!!

I was actually just curious about it. As far as doing it , I don't at this time have any interest in it. I enjoy the company and assistance both given and received when diving. The other added comfort is the safety factor and having someone to stop and drink a beer with after!!

Your buddies are giving you a false sense of security, when it come to diving, and to drinking for that matter.

It looks like we were typing at the same time.

If you prefer diving with others and are not interested in diving solo, then look into technical courses if you are interested in advancing your training. As mentioned above, talk to other divers and instructors.

The topic of solo diving can generate heated debate, so be prepared.

SDI has a cert for it, so I would consider that "encouraging" it. I think it's a good cert for ALL divers to earn as it makes you think and plan for self sufficiency.

Reactions: Jax
I just sat through an intro to Solo Diving yesterday at the Dallas Dive show that was put on by SDI/TDI. As they indicated they do not "encourage" solo diving. They state the course is to make you become a better partner, because in some sense we all solo dive. By this, the example presented is your buddy does not stay within arms length with you the entire time you are diving. There are instances, though might be small, that your dive buddy is out of sight or reach so in this case you are "solo diving".

There are two dives with the course, one dive is with the instructor and the other is a solo dive but you must drag a bouy with you the entire time so they know where you are at. There is also additional equipment you must have along with 100 logged dives.

The instructor did also mention that he will interview each candidate and he will ask the reason they want to the course. If they answer that they want to dive by themselves, he will not teach them the course.

If they answer that they want to dive by themselves, he will not teach them the course.
I'm sorry, but that's just plain silly.

From SDI's website:
One of SDI’s most popular courses, the solo diver program teaches experienced recreational divers how to safely dive independently of a dive buddy or strengthen your buddy team skills. The course stresses on proper dive planning, personal limitations, accident prevention as well as the benefits, hazards, and proper procedures for diving solo. You will also learn the additional equipment that is required for solo diving including it's proper usage and assembly. This is the prefect course for underwater photography and underwater video divers.

Apparently, they see "benefits" to diving solo. So do I.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom