Solo Technical Why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And, by the way, my NAUI card says Advanced Diver and forgoes mentioning open water. In 1972 I do not think they thought much about having to state open water on the card.

N

The old NAUI "Advanced Diver" is VERY different from the current NAUI "Advanced Scuba Diver" (NAUI doesn't say "Open Water" in any of its courses now). . The old NAUI "Advanced Diver" program was the third course up from the entry level "Basic Diver" certification way back then and was more "advanced" than the current "Advanced Diver" course. The old NAUI training progression was: "Basic Diver", "Open Water Diver", "Advanced Diver" and then "Master Scuba Diver."

I dive solo too on decompression dives and I did some solo cavedives. No problems with it.
But the biggest problem is that Padi sells a self reliant course, but with a padi divecenter still solodiving is not allowed?

Are there really dive organisations that still don't accept solodiving? I only know from an unknown dutch organisation, but further? it is allowed by padi, cmas, sdi, iantd, etc.

NAUI does not ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I don't think CMAS accepts solo diving. They have a self rescue course, but it's to prepare divers for an eventuality, not for them to just go solo.

From their standards:

"CMAS training programmes and ethos are based on the “Buddy” system of diving. CMAS, in offering Self-Rescue diver training, accepts the real-world fact that divers may, on occasions, become separated from their dive partner and, thus seeks to provide candidates with the knowledge, selfreliant diver skills and techniques to protect themselves in such events."

From the syllabus:

"1.1.1 Candidates shall be provided with:
1.1.1.1 All such knowledge to enable them to make a safe recover to the surface in the event that he
becomes separated from his dive buddy."

BSAC also does not accept it:

"BSAC currently takes the view that based on evidence from available statistics and risk assessment, the increased risk attendant to allowing planned solo diving is unacceptable"

Nor does GUE.

There is 3 times written in a Dutch CMAS magazine that solodiving is not forbidden. Some clubs allow it, others not. But the Dutch cmas (NOB) does not offer solodivingcourses, they said you can go to iantd for a self sufficient diver course. Same with technical courses, NOB does not offer technical diving courses. In France solodiving is normal too, I have seen it with a cmas divecenter too. So maybe differences in different regions?

Last edited:
BSAC also does not accept it:

"BSAC currently takes the view that based on evidence from available statistics and risk assessment, the increased risk attendant to allowing planned solo diving is unacceptable"

Nor does GUE.

That is because BSAC confuses busted buddy teams with an ensuing accident as a solo accident. That is ridiculous and incorrect. I have already covered this. There is absolutely no statistical evidence showing solo diving to be more dangerous than buddy diving. Again, a separated buddy team with an ensuing accident is not a solo diver accident, it is a buddy team accident.

GUE is a DIR team diver instruction. The entire methodology is dependent upon and based around buddy teams. While the DIR diver is much more self reliant than a typical recreational buddy team diver, it is still no wonder GUE does not allow solo, of course not, solo is the antithesis of DIR and GUE instruction!

It really does not any more matter what they think because both SDI and PADI do recognize solo as a legitimate recreational SCUBA activity/certification.

The old NAUI "Advanced Diver" is VERY different from the current NAUI "Advanced Scuba Diver" (NAUI doesn't say "Open Water" in any of its courses now). . The old NAUI "Advanced Diver" program was the third course up from the entry level "Basic Diver" certification way back then and was more "advanced" than the current "Advanced Diver" course. The old NAUI training progression was: "Basic Diver", "Open Water Diver", "Advanced Diver" and then "Master Scuba Diver."

I took NAUI SCUBA Diver in 68, Advanced Diver course in 72 and AI in 82. I do not recall the progression of training available. Best I remember there was Diver, Advanced Diver and Instructor but, heck, I was a kid and just do not remember.

N

Last edited:

I took NAUI SCUBA Diver in 68, Advanced Diver course in 72 and AI in 82. I do not recall the progression of training available. Best I remember there was Diver, Advanced Diver and Instructor but, heck, I was a kid and just do not remember.

N

The courses you took don't correspond with the course names available today. What you took way back then was more "advanced" than what is offered today.

In France solodiving is normal too, I have seen it with a cmas divecenter too.
I would be very interested to know where. French law, concerning dive centers, use the term palanquée, which would translate in dive team. And the usual interpretation is that a dive team consist of more than one diver.

This law doesn't apply to divers diving on their own without a dive center or cave diving (where solo cave is very common and the base of traditional training).

I believe solo diving is neither recreational nor technical in an absolute form. Most of my solo dives are benign and anyone could make them. There are some sites I've dived solo that I wouldn't take my current buddies even if I kept my eyes on them.

I would be very interested to know where. French law, concerning dive centers, use the term palanquée, which would translate in dive team. And the usual interpretation is that a dive team consist of more than one diver.

This law doesn't apply to divers diving on their own without a dive center or cave diving (where solo cave is very common and the base of traditional training).
Near Hyeres/Lavandou. We hired a boat to go to the Togo wreck and there where 2 other divers on the boat who did both a solodive. Single tank on air.
Solo cave diving in France is absolutely normal as you see it a lot and I do it sometimes too.

And I always dive with IDA, as the best buddy for solodiving. IDA has never problems, never out of gas, never call the dive, I Dive Alone. So if someone says are you diving solo you answere, I dive with Ida. :D

Back
Top Bottom