solo training vs firefighters training whats the difference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had to do the SMB Deployment maskless, neutral, and in trim. In 50 some degree water

Me too, at shallow depth. I signed up for a top-shelf solo course just to get a gate-pass to a local mudhole so I could practice same as above. I was unaware of the required skills for a REAL solo course. Obviously failed bigtime. Turned into a "learning experience".

So here is the takeaway: "Top-shelf" courses tend to include a strong dose of "demonstration of skills" as opposed to "I'll teach you everything you need to know".

Choose your courses and instructors wisely...

One never knows enough. Go for the training. It can't hurt.

Btw my background is FF/PSD.

FFdiver did your fire training cross over well? And thanks to all other that have posted here. To the poster that stated :eek:nly someone that has done both fire and solo training can fully answer my question : your assumption is probably most correct! Regardless of weather or not I decide to take the class I will continue to solo and plan my dives accordingly. And I suggest we all should do the same.

Any sort of experience in low/no viz, entanglement, self control will carry over to a degree. but it won't guarantee a pass or you will be perfect. You can ask any of my firefighters that have failed my PSD course. They all assumed that scuba and SCBA would be the same in no viz/things going wrong sort of way. Long story short the majority of them were very humbled and had more than a few wide eye moments. And these are guys I would have back me up anytime/anywhere in a building fire.

The hardest part of that course for me to teach someone is how not to panic, some people it's completely natural to be calm and think through every decision, for others its a skill they will never learn. for those people, they don't pass. (This goes for every class I teach from OW to PSD to solo)

But there is way more to the solo course then just everything going wrong and figuring out how to fix it. The course not only covers not panicking and how to get out of trouble but how not to get yourself in that trouble in the first place. Like others have said if you take the course from a good instructor you will learn something. Is learning (even if it's just one trick) worth it to you?

I can absolutely guarantee that if you went back even years and many dives later and take an OW diver course with a decent instructor you might even learn something new.

When it comes down to it, it's money. It's a few hundred dollars and you have probably wasted more than that doing something that doesn't matter as much.

Thanks ffdiver I am always willing to learn something new and am not in the habit of assuming that a class will not teach me anything I don't know but I also am not into throwing money away for training that is goin to be a wast of time and resources . That said I may take the class next time my lds offers it my friend that instructs for our dept teaches the class as well but is in the caymans for the next 3momthsmonth :lucky bastard :

Last edited:

Fire fighting nothing like solo diving.

Solo diving is nothing like fire fighting.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

... So my question is being comfortable with all that is there're anything that a solo class can teach me that I have not learned as a fire fighter?

Probably not in your case, but you still need the card on many charter boats to dive solo without being annoyed. IMHO, ideally nobody needs a solo course because they have evolved as a diver and given it enough thought before they started diving solo. Unfortunately you still need the card to avoid being assigned an insta-buddy.

Fire fighting nothing like solo diving.

Solo diving is nothing like fire fighting.

You're comparing apples and oranges.

do u do both ?
i do both.
not as diff. as many would assume
intraped in a fire u die lost in a smoke filled building u die
intraped in the water u die lost in low viz under water ...u might die or simply go up
granted i work with other well trained fire personell with me so as to not get traped or lost but it can and does happen. then a few people die
it is much less diffacult to cut yourself from a fishing line then a room that has fallen in around you .
this is also not a compareson of the activities as it is the training involved in each one and as to weather or not they cross over as far as being prepared for what may happen to u

IMHO, you appear to have a self-centric mindset. Perfect for solo. Same as me.

Very unacceptable for either PSD or FF.
i actually like diving with and doing thigs with and for others and yes when solo diving i am vary self centered it is all about ME lol, so self centered for solo yes, self centered in life in gen. could not be farther from the truth. i hope every person that solo dives is very self centered in that aspect of their life. do i want a bunch of self centered people on my fire ground .not so much on a fire gound team work is a must but the training is more about you saving your ass or at least most of it is R.I.T class is for saving other fire fighters. in a couple weeks my buddy will be back from the caymans and im sure he will be more then happy to put me threw the solo class and should i not meet his highest exp. he will fail me. and give me crap for not being able to do what ever skill he wishes when he wishes me to do it but thats how he runs all our dept classes and he wants our skills well above par. as well he should thats what a good instructor does. for jim good is never good enough.

Back
Top Bottom