Solo wreck diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you are taking on more risk than diving with a buddy, but if that is what you want to do and it is ok with the boat then I have no problem with you doing it.

O-ring:
I think you are taking on more risk than diving with a buddy, but if that is what you want to do and it is ok with the boat then I have no problem with you doing it.

I feel the risk is increased when diving with a buddy you've never dove with before. There is a big differance between diving with a dive buddy and diving on a dive team . I've been paired with divers that should not be on the boat,and that always added stress to the dive.out of hundreds of dives I've done , six have gone bad. No fatalites, but I would not like to relive the rescues .

p. s. Did someone FLAME MY BRAIN ? all diving is in a hazardous enviroment.

novadiver:
I feel the risk is increased when diving with a buddy you've never dove with before. There is a big differance between diving with a dive buddy and diving on a dive team . I've been paired with divers that should not be on the boat,and that always added stress to the dive.out of hundreds of dives I've done , six have gone bad. No fatalites, but I would not like to relive the rescues .

p. s. Did someone FLAME MY BRAIN ? all diving is in a hazardous enviroment.
I could see that being the case in a challenging environment (maybe), but on a recreational, external wreck dive? What could him/her possibly do that would make it MORE dangerous to dive with a buddy than by yourself?

O-ring:
I could see that being the case in a challenging environment (maybe), but on a recreational, external wreck dive? What could him/her possibly do that would make it MORE dangerous to dive with a buddy than by yourself?

Let me count the ways.1 get lost on a deep dive.2 poor gas management causeing an OOA diver ,3 bouancy skills that zero viz,4 breaking my wreck line ,5 getting washed of the wreck because of the flow,6 gear that comes apart at 110
feet .ECT. I bet you could add a few also.

novadiver:
Let me count the ways.1 get lost on a deep dive.2 poor gas management causeing an OOA diver ,3 bouancy skills that zero viz,4 breaking my wreck line ,5 getting washed of the wreck because of the flow,6 gear that comes apart at 110
feet .ECT. I bet you could add a few also.
I hear divers that bad are only on the Surface Interval. I have never seen them down here in VB or NC..

:wink:

O-ring:
I hear divers that bad are only on the Surface Interval. I have never seen them down here in VB or NC..

:wink:

You should never beleave what you hear only what you see.And save some of rage for tomorrow when I send a post about cutting your own hole to enter a wreck.

breathe in, breathe out,It's very easy.

novadiver:
You should never beleave what you hear only what you see.And save some of rage for tomorrow when I send a post about cutting your own hole to enter a wreck.

breathe in, breathe out,It's very easy.
LOL...ok, I'll come up there and dive the Northern Pacific and save additional comments until after that.

Hmm..I have never thought of myself as a suicidal risk taker and have never done a solo overhead dive just to beat my chest and say "Ha - I did that".

I do conduct solo overhead dives because they are in many cases a lot safer than doing the same dive with a buddy. There is no buddy along to screw the viz, to panic, to need rescued, or to have to attempt to communicate with if the situation changes and the dive plan has to be altered or aborted. With no buddy to have to attend to I am free to totally focus on the goals of the dive and on any threats that I may encounter.

If you are properly trained equippped and experienced, a solo overhead dive does not have to involve anymore risk than it does with a buddy.

And unlike freeclimbing, training and redundant equipment will still enable you to ascend safely if you "slip" on a solo overhead dive.

DA Aquamaster:
Hmm..I have never thought of myself as a suicidal risk taker and have never done a solo overhead dive just to beat my chest and say "Ha - I did that".

I do conduct solo overhead dives because they are in many cases a lot safer than doing the same dive with a buddy.
Well, then let's just say we strongly disagree.
DA Aquamaster:
There is no buddy along to screw the viz, to panic, to need rescued, or to have to attempt to communicate with if the situation changes and the dive plan has to be altered or aborted. With no buddy to have to attend to I am free to totally focus on the goals of the dive and on any threats that I may encounter.
Wow - all I can say is that I'm truly saddened if your dive experiences have been so negative that you consider a buddy in this light. Obviously, you need to dive with better buddies.
DA Aquamaster:
If you are properly trained equippped and experienced, a solo overhead dive does not have to involve anymore risk than it does with a buddy.
Well, unless you're entangled somewhere. Uh oh...

You have every right to disagree with me, but I stand by my opinion that solo diving is just downright dangerous. Solo diving in an overhead environment is, with the utmost of respect sir, scarily so.

novadiver:
thanks for your input. The rules I refered to are simple, NO DECO, NO OVERHEAD, rule of thirds for gas management and stick to your dive plan.there are plenty of things to look for on the outside of the wreck, and I like to take pictures too,

The only way to avoid decompression is to not get compressed in the first place and that means no diving. LOL

No overhead? Doesn't sound like you're all that confident in your solo diving skills.

Why rule of thirds without a buddy. You need enough gas reserved to get you to the surface. Without a buddy it takes half as much but you had better not loose the reserve too.

We dive with redundant breathing systems, a buddy and (when appropriate) also use the rule of thirds. That means each diver always has enough gas to get both divers back from the furthest point in the dive. That's redundant redundancy. LOL

Does an instructor go with you on your solo training dives? If not, how do they evaluate your performance? If so, how do they certify you for solo diving when you've never done it?

By all means dive alone if that's what you want to do. Just realize that whatever they teach you in that silly solo diver course is less than what's taught in other courses that require you to have a buddy (team).

What will they think of to sell divers next?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom