Some reflections on SAC rates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In addition to navigation, hunting and current are you accustomed to solo diving?

I am definitely accustomed to solo diving, but when you are also hunting there are definitely moments when think: "shoot, if I get stuck in this hole, I am on my own."

I'm always leading dives. I usually dive with buddies that have less experience level than me. So, naturally I guide the dive. I also usually dive in cold and low visibility waters, both fresh and sea water.
Some month ago I participate in a dive excursion in Miami Beach, in the Emerald Reef. I was there because of a work conference and so I was with no buddy on board. I was buddied with a couple of female divers. Normally female divers have a better (lower) SAC than male divers.
As I was buddied with them, I followed them and took pictures. I was surprised to find out that after 70 minutes underwater (it was a shallow dive) we had to call the dive as one of the girls was near reserve. Conclusion, if I have not the stress to guide the dive, I mean, to track where is the boat and return to it, my SAC improves a lot, added to the warmer waters and good visibility, a very good SAC.

I am definitely accustomed to solo diving, but when you are also hunting there are definitely moments when think: "shoot, if I get stuck in this hole, I am on my own."

Okay so it's hunting/peril/current/solo. Now I understand!

That does sound like a lot of fun. Where I am, touching a lobster get real ugly if caught.

Pete

My SAC rate just about doubles when DMing, even if nothing goes wrong. It's the ever-present possibility that something MIGHT . . .

I'm just now getting into the .38-.39 range. From least to most, my sac rates seem to follow this pattern:

photography
nothing
sightseeing
hunting
deep (recreational)
technical (any depth)

I would figure photography would have been higher, because I do move around a fair bit, but I have to relax to get decent photos, and pay more attention to my breathing, really my exhalations during photography dives, so even though I move more, and carry more gear, I end up burning less gas.

I also seem to burn nothing on deco, as I'm mostly focused on my breathing.

Saturday's review of air consumption rates:

skills & drills: 0.70
compass nav: 0.47

nav was is 5' vis, but was a simple triangle navagation on a relatively flat bottom - truly stress free....

My sac varies dramatically as to the task at hand, but as I do not use optimistic figures in my gas management, it is overall a small factor in my diving.

If conditions allow, I always immense my face in the water without mask and hood, then with mask and hood on and either reg-breathe on the surface or snorkle (always have one on or in pocket in open water diving) for enough time to relax and assist the pre-activation of the mammalian diving reflex. Relaxation and pre-visualisation, using the same equipment, diving the plan, proper teamwork and keeping my skills current are all factors I see paramount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom