Some thoughts on restructuring SCUBA training ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with your premise that divers should be trained well. Scuba is a self-regulated sport and most divers want to keep it that way, so an acceptable safety record is important.

On the other hand, I don't see scuba divers as being comparable to airline pilots or brain surgeons serving the public in a professional capacity. To me, scuba is more comparable to driving a motorcycle: Potentially dangerous to the individual, but safe enough when practiced responsibly.

I have not seen any statistics that would support a charge that divers are being inadequately trained. If anything, the fatality statistics seem to show that divers are generally in poor physical condition, and one could argue that a healthier lifestyle would save more divers' lives than more rigorous training.

People do lots of things that aren't good for them, and we can educate and encourage them to do better. But imposing our own solutions is tyrannical and often self-defeating.

I share your concerns, I too wish all divers were better trained, but that training IS available for a price, and I think we have to let the free market work.

In a free market you sell people what they want to buy. We have two-day certifications because people want to buy them ... it really is that simple.

Back when I was a DM I worked at a shop that sold a comprehensive three-week class for a very reasonable $275. Many are the times I would get a phone call from someone looking for a class who would ask me why our class took so long and cost so much. I would explain the benefits of a more comprehensive class, and that our class included more pool time ... which is why it cost more than the week-end, $129 course our closest competitor was offering.

About 90% of those people would opt for shorter and cheaper ... even after having it explained to them why the longer, more expensive class was better.

Falls into the "you can lead a horse to water" category ... you can't force people to buy quality, you can only try to help them understand why they would want to consider it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Do trainees dive to certify or certify to dive.

IXΘYΣ;5221063:

Thanks for the links.

Looking at the first link, it explains that you must be fit and comfortable in the water, and the "Two Days" is, well, more like 3 or 4.

"Course Overview

Academic and Diving Theory is at home via interactive DVD/CD or eLearning online training (computer required). Eight to Twelve hours are required completing the academics.

Pool Sessions are in the AM of Day One at the dive site in pool like conditions.
2 open water dives in Crystal River (72 degrees year round) the afternoon of Day One. Quizzes and Exams given.
Pool Sessions are in the AM of Day Two at the dive site in pool like conditions.
2 open water dives in Crystal River (72 degrees year round) the afternoon of Day Two.
Day three is optional if additional time is necessary to complete any portion of the course not completed on day one or day two. Additional fee of $100.00 per person for Day 3.
Once the course is completed Open Water Certification is awarded. Additional Open Water Certification Cards available for each agency we teach (PADI, SDI-TDI, MDEA)"

Don't just Google the headlines. Drill down to read what it actually says. In some cases they are talking about Scuba Diver Certification, which is roughly half of the normal OW certification and only allows you to dive shallow with an instructor.

IXΘYΣ;5221063:
just google "scuba certification in two days"
here are a few... there are hundreds listed.
FAQs ~ Learn to Scuba Dive in Two (2) Days, Tampa (Fl) Florida

This does not include the academics, which must be done first.

PADI Scuba Diving Lessons and Scuba Courses in Belize

Follow the link and it says the OW course takes 4 days. It also says you can complete a referral course (academics and pool done at home before the trip) in one day. If so, that is a standards violation.

Avadon Divers - Placencia, Belize - Diver Training & Certification

Go to the explanations and you will find that the Open Water course is three days. The Scuba Diver course is for two days.

SCUBA Diving Lessons
><>
Read the explanation: "Normal time to complete the course is 4 days."

I agree with the OP. The only consideration about including all the other stuff that's now left out of OW class is cost. Obviously a more thorough OW means more hours to pay for. But to not include this stuff means OW graduates are less prepared that years ago. I guess the longer times and higher costs would mean fewer would sign up, costing the shop money. But that's been debated a lot on SB. Regarding the weekend course (1 weekend class/pool, the 2nd is checkout dives): I took OW spread out over 3-4 weeks with night classes. That seemed perfect for me. I couldn't imagine doing well with everything in one weekend. As a DMC who interned one of those weekends, it confirmed my belief. My head was spinning thinking about the students and I KNEW all the skills. These courses should be eliminated, even though some may be able to cope with them OK.

1) NO SCUBA "CRASH-COURSE" PLEASE: There are a lot of dive shops that proudly advertise "EARN YOUR CERTIFICATION IN TWO DAYS!" Most of these dive shops are situated in places where influx of diving tourism is so much they want to maximize profits by reducing the training time spent on each student. Once they have your money, they want you to get out of the shop ASAP so that new students can come in. Instructors have the "assembly line" mindset where maximum certifications in minimum time is the formula for success of dive shop.

Particularly the last sentence is a gross generalisation, and if I weren't thicker skinned I would be insulted by it!!! :wink:

Yes, these courses exist - but you have to ask *WHY*. A lot of scuba training is market led, the agencies provide what people are asking for.

There is still choice, though. There are plenty of instructors who don't do fast courses. There are plenty of agencies who insist on longer courses. The question is, though, is would you pay for those longer courses?

To give you a very specific example - we offer an entry level programme by GUE, the "Recreational Diver Level 1" course. It's a ten day course, with ten open water dives, ten pool session. As well as basic scuba, it incorporates nitrox training, much more rescue skills and a real focus on buoyancy and trim that eliminates the need for courses like PADI PPB.

From an instructors point of view, such a course is about twelve hours of work per day. Let's say that the instructor wants to earn $30 an hour (here in NZ, that is about half what you would pay an electrician or a plumber, and around about on par with a newly qualified teacher). Ignoring all the expenses, just to cover their time the course needs to generate $3600 of income - with two students, that's $1800 each.

It is top notch training, but you're not going to get top notch training from an instructor who is prepared to work for $10 an hour. Yet still most people would baulk at paying $1800 for their first scuba course. Many would prefer to go down to the dive shop and pay $450 for a quicker, less involved course.

Until consumers stop making their choices on price, and instead focus on value, I very much doubt that we will see any real changes in the way scuba training is delivered. Value doesn't equate to cheap, by the way.

Expecting agencies to mandate higher standards when there is no market demand for it is simply pi$$ing in the wind.

I feel this is strongly needed because the way these courses are taught presently, it seems like students are paying money to learn in Advanced what they should have learnt in basic OW. I mean what do you mean by selling PEAK PERFORMANCE BUOYANCY to a certified diver? Kidding me??? That only means that PADI and the affiliated dive shop will allow you to get certified with bad buoyancy so that you can be charged money later to correct this training deficiency.

*sigh*

Are you saying that you have perfect buoyancy control?

I know I certainly don't, and I probably never will.... unfortunately every time you reach the crest that you think is "the end" of the climb, another peak appears out of the cloud tempting you onwards to reach the next level.

When I had around about 100 dives, I thought I had perfected buoyancy control. Man, was I so wrong.

Typically, what I am aiming for in a PADI PPB class is to extend a divers ability and to how them what is possible. By the end of the course (for which I do four dives) a pair of divers should be able to make a 3m/min timed ascent from depth to the surface, in trim, whilst sharing gas, with one diver having no mask.They should also be able to back kick, frog kick and helicopter turn.

Would I expect an OW student to be able to do those things? No.

The problem isn't with PADI, it's shared by the consumers (who don't shop around) and individual instructors (who don't understand the concept of value).

In order to get the ADVANCED OPEN WATER a diver should have a minimum of 20 dives in 60 ft depth. These should include the following:

Deep Dives
Nitrox
Navigation
Drift
Night
plus some reading on Altitude diving

Why? What is your rationale? Why those depths? Why those skills?

In the PADI system, ADVANCED OPEN WATER does not mean ADVANCED DIVER. This has been done to death - the name of the programme was changed to "Adventures in Diving" some years ago in an attempt to remove this confusion. The purpose of the programme is to advanced a divers education, not to make them an advanced diver.

Hell, I don't even consider myself an advanced diver.

Again, you have a choice. You do not have to do PADI training. I suspect that Jim Lapenta will be along shortly to describe his AOW course (he is an SEI instructor) that is close to what you describe. If that's what you want, choose SEI or find a NAUI course that suits. Don't blame PADI, blame yourself for not being informed of what your options are.

I feel that ADVANCED OPEN WATER training should also include RESCUE DIVER course. Since the motivation behind rescue course is to be able to save lives, the more people who know these skills the better / safer your dive boats become.

Again, why? And are you prepared to pay what it costs for a much longer, more involved course?

By the way, you don't need to be an AOW diver to do PADI Rescue - so it's not like this is a money making scheme here... modularisation gives you flexibility, if the Rescue skills are important to you, do the Rescue course. Hell, PADI even allow you to integrate certain skills from the Rescue course into an Open Water course (only in the pool, mind you). This works particularly well in cold countries, do to the pool stuff for OW and then keep divers involved and excited by immediate doing all the pool Rescue skills. Once summer comes, you can get out when the ice has melted and finish off both courses.

Beyond AOW+RESCUE we could have Specialties that are true specialities and not someone charging you for basic open water skills. These are:

dry suit
ice diving
photography
search and rescue
wreck or cave penetration

Again, you have no rationale for these choices at all. How do you know that "true specialties" aren't being taught?? Certainly the ones I teach are taught at a level that can add value to any diver.

These would add additional skills and equipment know-how beyond what just makes a good diver. Beyond these we can have training for professionals like DM course or Instructor course etc.

Please let me know your thoughts.

I think that you've probably had some bad experiences through not being an informed consumer, and probably wouldn't be prepared to pay what these courses would be charged at - so this whole thread is rather a waste of time.

Hello -

My journey into SCUBA began in 2001 and today I am an AOW with some specialty certifications. Over this time I have encountered some poor training methods, financially motivated business malpractices as well as some dive-shops / instructors who were crooks to say the least. Based on my limited personal experience and limited training, I have thought how we can improve training of divers.

I am pointing out in SCUBA curriculum/diver training issues that I see as problems. I am hoping that divers with more experience, especially instructors and industry professionals can give their insights into what is a good idea and what isnt from what follows.

1) NO SCUBA "CRASH-COURSE" PLEASE: There are a lot of dive shops that proudly advertise "EARN YOUR CERTIFICATION IN TWO DAYS!" Most of these dive shops are situated in places where influx of diving tourism is so much they want to maximize profits by reducing the training time spent on each student. Once they have your money, they want you to get out of the shop ASAP so that new students can come in. Instructors have the "assembly line" mindset where maximum certifications in minimum time is the formula for success of dive shop.

I think this is a recipe for producing incompetent divers who will put their lives in danger along with other people. Imagine if pilots were trained like that! Or brain surgeons or anyone else who is handling a potential life and death situation.

Any thoughts on now the above can be rectified?

When I was an Open Water diver with twelve dives, I was diving with a woman who was an ADVANCED OPEN WATER. She would jump into the sea with so much lead that by fully inflating her BCD she would become neutrally buoyant at depth. Very poor swimming and very bad buoyancy. I asked where she got her certification and she said she was the product of a 2 day SCUBA course in Thailand. :no:

2) RESTRUCTURING OF OPEN WATER AND ADVANCED OPEN WATER

I feel this is strongly needed because the way these courses are taught presently, it seems like students are paying money to learn in Advanced what they should have learnt in basic OW. I mean what do you mean by selling PEAK PERFORMANCE BUOYANCY to a certified diver? Kidding me??? That only means that PADI and the affiliated dive shop will allow you to get certified with bad buoyancy so that you can be charged money later to correct this training deficiency. Same is with specialties like BOAT DIVING or SHORE DIVING. Doesn't make any sense! First a guy becomes a certified diver and after getting his certification he is going to learn how to jump from a boat??? :idk:

In order to get the ADVANCED OPEN WATER a diver should have a minimum of 20 dives in 60 ft depth. These should include the following:

Deep Dives
Nitrox
Navigation
Drift
Night
plus some reading on Altitude diving

I feel that ADVANCED OPEN WATER training should also include RESCUE DIVER course. Since the motivation behind rescue course is to be able to save lives, the more people who know these skills the better / safer your dive boats become.

Beyond AOW+RESCUE we could have Specialties that are true specialities and not someone charging you for basic open water skills. These are:

dry suit
ice diving
photography
search and rescue
wreck or cave penetration

These would add additional skills and equipment know-how beyond what just makes a good diver. Beyond these we can have training for professionals like DM course or Instructor course etc.

Please let me know your thoughts.

My agency does not allow crash courses. The AOW class I teach is described in a number of my posts or go to my website. All classes include rescue skills including OW. The class is 32 hours minimum not including checkouts. I do not need nor want to train those who want cheap and quick. I also do not care about putting numbers in the water. I train divers not balance sheet entries.

As an independent I choose when, where, and who to train. I have one full OW class (5 students) now, another mid june, and if I get another in August that is enough for the year. AOW and specialties like dry suit, nitrox, UW Nav, Deep, Wreck, and S&R are the ones I really like to teach and will do those as often as there is interest and it does not interfere with my fun dives. If I do not do dives just for fun and for me as often as I do classes I'm not doing something right by me.

The OW course cost is currently $289 and includes books. AOW is $175 and you need a min 10 dives post OW to even start and I still may require pool and a couple OW dives to assess skill levels before allowong someone to start. I just refused an AOW student last week due to insufficient post OW experience and he is instead going to dive a couple weekends with me, he and his wife will then do the UW Nav which is 8 hours of class and 6 dives, and depending on how he does then I MAY let him do AOW.

I do not offer any fluff courses. I don't offer any that I do not feel passionate about or fully qualified to teach. I have a 3.2 mp point and shoot camera just fos giggles and personal rembrances. I am not interested in UW photo enough to invest in the gear and training to teach it to the standards I have for my other classes. There are some very good pro shooters who teach and I'd rather refer a student to them than take their money for a class that I would not consider worth it.

It's human nature to want to accomplish something as quickly and easily as possible. The only way to make better training stick would be to require it.

Imagine what would happen if it were possible to get a bachelors degree in 1 year from an accredited college. Very few people would bother with 4 year schools.

I think what you have heard is that people have choices right now.

First of all, they can choose between agencies. There are agencies that offer longer and more complex courses for higher prices. People who want that can make that choice.

Next, within the agencies that promote shorter courses at lower prices, the diver has choices as well. The diver can take the basic course and stay at that level or take as many additional courses as he or she wants to get whatever level of instruction.

and one more thing....

This topic has been done to death umpteen times on ScubaBoard, so you might find that a lot of people are too tired of repeating the same things over and over again to participate excitedly in this thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom