Sony DCR-HC42 Housing, DVD Burning & Camcorder Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Otter:
I am not sure whether these settings are available on the LANC options for your camcorder.

Thanks for the advice Otter. I'll check to make sure. I liked you website. That Mako in CA looks like a Great White from a distance.

triggertravel:
sjspeck: Thank you for all the advice. I'm certain this will help me avoid problems!!! What system do you use or recommend? We want to stay under $2,000.
Mechanical: Ikelite and Equinox.

Electronic: Top Dawg, Light & Motion, USVH and Ocean Images.

Money's no object: Gates and Amphibico. Under $2000 I'd look really hard at L&M and USVH.

I maintain the list of u/w housing manufacturers on this board. All of these mfr's websites are listed there. It's here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t86858-video-housing-manufacturers-list.html

Steve

triggertravel:
Thanks for the advice Otter. I'll check to make sure. I liked you website. That Mako in CA looks like a Great White from a distance.

Yeah, and until you see it relative to the diver, it doesn't look like its only about 3' long :)

I have had my Equinox housing for over 4 years and it has yet to leak or have any issues.

I had TJ make me a monitor back for it and added the color monitor last year.

I have around 300 dives on the housing and TRV-950 video unit. It has never given me any problems.

One of the features I like about the housing is that they supply you a set of weighted handles for the times you do not have video lights attached, you can "pull the pins" and your camera and housing, minus the wings and handles will go to the surface, a useful saftey feature if you every had an issue and needed to get rid of the camera.

I have dove this unit to 245 fsw no leaks or issues.

The only feature I wish I had is an external mic, but TJ is working on that so a new face plate with mic may be in the offering soon.

Mike...

Diver Mike:
I have had my Equinox housing for over 4 years and it has yet to leak or have any issues.
QUOTE]

I'm trying to talk my wife into the Equinox. She likes the Atmoseal because it of the Lanc control and the cost. I like the Atmoseal in case I change cameras but am still leaning toward the Equinox. The Equinox seems like the best value w/ the red filter, wide angle lense, and looks a lot cooler too. The Lanc controlled housings I really want are way too much money.

Thanks again for all the advice. I spoke to TJ yesterday and he seems like a really nice guy and more than willing to customize a solution.

Thanks for all the great info everyone.... I know I didnt start the thread, but since I just bought the same camera myself, im sure this will help me out a TON.

One more thing,

Can anyone explain to me why it is that all of these housings are so expensive? Especially with the mechanical controls it just seems that $800+ is just the companies being greedy. Maybe its just me....

Stryker:
One more thing,

Can anyone explain to me why it is that all of these housings are so expensive? Especially with the mechanical controls it just seems that $800+ is just the companies being greedy. Maybe its just me....

I'm wondering the same thing and if I shoud just be a cheap no frills tube for $200. I think clear cam???? makes one.

Stryker:
One more thing,

Depends which housings you are talking about. Machined aluminum housings like Amphibico, Gates and Light Motion can't be cheap to make.

Back
Top Bottom