Sony HC3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xSandman3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So apparently, the HC1 is rather difficult to acquire because it has been discontinued. Any thoughts on the HC3 that replaces it?

It looks like they moved the function buttons around just enough so that the mfr's. are going to have to retool to make a housing for it. Looks pretty good though, except what's with the flash on the lip of the lens opening, that's got to cause some glare off the front port if it's used in photo mode when it's housed.

And I paid that 3mos. ago for my HC1...

Wonder what it will do to the price of an A1?

I don't see why it wouldn't work with the USVH MiniDV housing. I emailed them to find out. The only thing I am unhappy about is they seemed to have eliminated the mic jacks. They would have come in handy for recording my band concerts at work.

It should, it may even use the same mounting plate. I've noticed that Sony usually maintains that dimension through their various sized camera housing lines. Of course no MWB in the USVH. I came really close to purchasing the USVH for my HC1, just decided at the last minute that I might want to be able to change the port in the future. And you get the LCD monitor for the price with USVH, from Amphibico it's $1395 more. You can change a setting on the camera to output a 16/9 image to that monitor, although there will be a black band at the top/bottom. I'd pay the extra $100 for the better lens also for HD use.

I got lucky and found an HC1...only took 5 hours or so and a bazillion and three phone calls...should have it Friday. For the price, the USVH seems to do everything I want except for MWB. Now I just have to wait until June until they catch up with current orders.

Congratulations. The footage I have seen from the HC1 is incredible, and Warren from USVH has a great reputation for his products and service.

I am so jazzed...I am going on a cruise in July. They just lowered the price by $1700 and refunded the difference! I'm ordering the USVH housing tomorrow.

xSandman3:
I am so jazzed...I am going on a cruise in July. They just lowered the price by $1700 and refunded the difference! I'm ordering the USVH housing tomorrow.

Liveaboard or pod cruise ?

I'm going on a family cruise in June. Pod cruises aren't all that bad. There is something for everyone and you can get some quality diving if you arrange things yourself. In the past I've dove Grand Cayman and Cozumel. This trip I'll be diving Aruba and Curacao.

Just a family cruise. We're only planning to dive in Grand Cayman, but have a slight problem. The youngest daughter turns 12 the day after Grand Cayman, and the dive op that Royal Caribbean uses won't take 11 year olds, so I'm going to have to book through someone else.

xSandman3:
Just a family cruise. We're only planning to dive in Grand Cayman, but have a slight problem. The youngest daughter turns 12 the day after Grand Cayman, and the dive op that Royal Caribbean uses won't take 11 year olds, so I'm going to have to book through someone else.

I try to avoid using the cruiseship operator.

I've heard good things about Divers Down, plus they are located within walking distance of the cruise terminal which is a huge plus.

Link below:

dive operator

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom