Sony HC3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amphibico has just announced that they will be releasing a housing for the HC3 I believe sometime in May 2006. MSRP I think is around $1495.00 You can read the full press release on UWDV.COM

xSandman3:
So apparently, the HC1 is rather difficult to acquire because it has been discontinued. Any thoughts on the HC3 that replaces it?
who says HC1 is discontinued ?
Just because sony doenst list them on their online shop doesn't mean its discontinued.

the HC1 has more features the the HC3 . The Hc is a lower cost ( not a 'low cost' in the sense of crummy. just cheaper because some advanced stuff has been removed. its the same lens , cmos and digitzing electronics. ) version

Looks like the HC3 has slightly better low light performance, despite the smaller primary lens. Unfortunately, I don't think it has a user-assignable button to control WB without going into the touch panel menu, same as on the HC1. I hoped the "easy" button was going to be a user assignable button, but no luck. It just sets the camera to "auto-everything". I haven't seen anything definite on the HC1 being discontinued, though I've seen this posted elsewhere as well. I think the A1 is being kept though it's quite a bit more expensive. Perhaps the thought is HC3 for the "average" consumer, A1 for the "prosumer" (hate that word!)?

The HC1 is nearly impossible to find in the US at this point. I spent hours online and on the phone before I finally found one. every store or salesperson I talked to said it was being replaced by the HC3, per Sony. I even called Sony, and they confirmed this.

The HC1 is officially discontinued by Sony. The A1u will remain in the 2006 product line.

Amphibico's new HC3 housing retails at 1595 and will begin shipping the end of May. Light & Motion also expects to begin shipping end of may/early June. Gates is looking at July for their housing.

I just got my HC1. I ordered it from www.outpost.com. I must have got one of the last ones because I just looked on thier site and now they only have the HC3. I plan to get the Ikelite housing for it.

jstuart1:
I just got my HC1. I ordered it from www.outpost.com. I must have got one of the last ones because I just looked on thier site and now they only have the HC3. I plan to get the Ikelite housing for it.
Got mine from the same place. I ordered a USVH housing for mine, and will get it near the end of June. After having an Ikelite for my old system, I am looking forward to electronic controls.

H2OPhotoPro:
The HC1 is officially discontinued by Sony. The A1u will remain in the 2006 product line.

Amphibico's new HC3 housing retails at 1595 and will begin shipping the end of May. Light & Motion also expects to begin shipping end of may/early June. Gates is looking at July for their housing.

Any insight on what controls the L&M and Gates will have for the HC3? The amphico controls are pretty limited. I think I read somewhere that the Gates HC3 housing will be similiar to their Sony PC models so that you can view the open LCD from the rear.

pakman:
Any insight on what controls the L&M and Gates will have for the HC3? The amphico controls are pretty limited. I think I read somewhere that the Gates HC3 housing will be similiar to their Sony PC models so that you can view the open LCD from the rear.
The gates housing for the HC3 is expected to be very similar to the pc series housings, with LCD open and viewable from the rear.
A definite answer on which controls will be available has not been released yet.
The PC series ports are going to be compatible with this housing, which means if someone has an older pc series housing, they should be able to use the same ports, assuming that they are in good condition.

Underwater Unlimited
http://www.underwaterul.com

I've just ordered a HC3 as a second system for some shallow water shooting that I will be doing this year. As for the next 12 months it wont really need to go below 3m I also ordered the Sony Marine Sport Pack housing. A great deal really considering I can get the housing and a HD camcoder for so cheap. Also it gives me a bit of time to decide if I like the HC3 enough to buy it a full on housing, or to see what else comes out next year. HD is moving so fast, so expect to see lots of new products.

Back
Top Bottom