Sony HC3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simonspear:
I've just ordered a HC3 as a second system for some shallow water shooting that I will be doing this year. As for the next 12 months it wont really need to go below 3m I also ordered the Sony Marine Sport Pack housing. A great deal really considering I can get the housing and a HD camcoder for so cheap. Also it gives me a bit of time to decide if I like the HC3 enough to buy it a full on housing, or to see what else comes out next year. HD is moving so fast, so expect to see lots of new products.
You're going to put a $1500 camcorder in a housing rated to 17 feet? Wow...you are a much braver person than me.

I'm only going to be at snokeling depth for the majority of the time and at the deepest it should be no more than around 3m, so I can't see a problem with that....

Hopefully it'll all work out ok!! fingers toes and various other bits crossed!

Crossing of bits may be unwise, if more than of legs or maybe the eyes!

There seems to be a control wheel on the front of the HC3 that Sony's site says is "programmable" for MWB. Does anyone know if that will be accessibly through the L&M or Amphibico housings? Or via the LANC? This info is not easy to find...

slingshot:
Crossing of bits may be unwise, if more than of legs or maybe the eyes!

There seems to be a control wheel on the front of the HC3 that Sony's site says is "programmable" for MWB. Does anyone know if that will be accessibly through the L&M or Amphibico housings? Or via the LANC? This info is not easy to find...

I had a chance to play around with an actual HC3 at the store a few weeks ago. You can't access the MWB through that wheel. You might be able to do a WB shift through that wheel, but not the full manual MWB. Otherwise, the HC3 is one neat little gadget. Feels just right in your hand. AF seemed to do a good job but did seem to struggle a bit when you were zoomed in. LCD was very crisp. Using the viewfinder was slightly annoying as it doesn't turn up like the HC1. They had a demo HC3 model connected to a HDV flatscreen side by side with a standard Sony SD camcorder. The HC3 was image was amazing.

I don't think the MWB can be accessed via the Lanc on any Sony camcorder - there seems to be an inherent problem with this. The Amphibico housing does not allow access to MWB, although the rumour is (and it is just a rumour at the moment) that Light and Motion have found a way to do it on their housing. I'm looking forward to the release statement from them!

Oh yeah and I'll try not to cross anything that would cause permanent damage!! :)

Cheers, Simon

I just put my rig together. Found a great HDR-HC1 on eBay. Bought the housing from Ikelite, and have my NiteRider (Dive Lights International) HID Pro20 Video Lights.

Absolutely incredible.

amadeusmattes:
I just put my rig together. Found a great HDR-HC1 on eBay. Bought the housing from Ikelite, and have my NiteRider (Dive Lights International) HID Pro20 Video Lights.

Absolutely incredible.
Still waiting on my housing from USVH...6 weeks or so to go. Can't wait to get it wet.

Heya Steve

I checked with the insurance company and I'm covered as long as I can provide my dive computer to prove that I didn't go below 5m in the event of a flood. It really should be ok though. I'm only literally going to be at snorkeling depth with it while fliming basking sharks and maybe a couple of other varieties of shark if we're lucky :) For anything deeper I'll be using my existing system so there really should be no danger of a flood. I doubt Sony would be selling the housing if they thought they'd get a load of claims - well at least that's my theory! If I like the camcorder I'll buy it a proper housing next year, but of course that all depends as well on what happens with the technology. From what I've seen so far I think we can expect new cameras coming out every 6 - 12 months.

This set up is fine for what I need to use it for this year and 1/4 of the price of an A1 with housing/monitor etc. It should all be peachy, although like I said I'm still crossing various bits just in case :)

Cheers, Simon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom