Sore after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vayu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
To whom it may concern,

I have come to expect that after a day of diving, I will be sore. It happens every time, regardless of the profile. Regardless, here is yesterdays profile:

1: Depth 42' for 25 minutes, extremely slow ascent with 10-15 minute safety stop.

Surface interval: 1 hr

2: Depth 25' for 15 minutes, slow ascent and stop.

Surface interval: 25 minutes

3: Depth 30' for 27 minutes, slow ascent and stop.

Today: Sore.

I do not think this is DCS, but I wonder if I am the only one that this happens to. It feels remarkably like Delayed On-set Muscle Soreness that I get 1 - 2 days after weightlifting. This soreness is also delayed. Is it the same thing? For the record I made a point of not lifting for 3 days prior to the dive to test it out.

Thanks,

-V

Never happens to me, never heard of it anywhere - from divers in person or reading here. This raises a big red flad to me. Something sounds bad, and could get worse.

If you were in poor physical shape, it could be lifting the equipment, but that's certainly not the case here. Anything else in play? Seasick and heaving or anything?

Hope someone else here can chime in with suggestions, but I would be very concerned.

Just my opinion:

Your profile says you have less than 50 dives. You are using muscles in ways that you don't otherwise use them. Doesn't matter what kind of shape you're in, it'll take some time to get the muscles/ligaments/joints used to the new way you're exercising them.

**NOTE: This assumes a minimal amount of soreness, not joint pain or numbness or other symptoms of DCS.

Rick Inman:
Just my opinion:

Your profile says you have less than 50 dives. You are using muscles in ways that you don't otherwise use them. Doesn't matter what kind of shape you're in, it'll take some time to get the muscles/ligaments/joints used to the new way you're exercising them.

**NOTE: This assumes a minimal amount of soreness, not joint pain or numbness or other symptoms of DCS.
Rick, I'm more than twice his age, in poor physical condition (just started working out), and still have never had that problem - or heard of it.

While your statement seems to have a lot of merit, it still does not fit my experiences.

Yeah man, never felt that. where exactly are you sore?

As Rick said. I experienced that as a new diver and still do if any appreciable time since last dive. I think it is because you are not using the main anti-gravity core muscles used for vertical standing but more minor muscles against the viscousness of the water (hence more resistance) relative to what your body is used to when moving through air. It is exactly the same as the "sublime soreness" of DOMS and will diminish if you continue to dive regularly.

I am sore in my shoulders but I lugged a bunch of Al80's around. I am also really sore in my hamstrings and calves from finning. My hands and feet are also sore. My lower back is sore, maybe from arching the back a ton.

I've been treating it with rest, water, peanut butter.

I don't think it is DCS but I was slightly concerned that other people don't seem to be sore. Thanks for the tips I'll keep a watch on it.

-V

Vayu:
I am sore in my shoulders but I lugged a bunch of Al80's around. I am also really sore in my hamstrings and calves from finning. My hands and feet are also sore. My lower back is sore, maybe from arching the back a ton.

I've been treating it with rest, water, peanut butter.

I don't think it is DCS but I was slightly concerned that other people don't seem to be sore. Thanks for the tips I'll keep a watch on it.

-V
Okay, I see some differences now. I've never "lugged a bunch of Al80's around." They're not all that heavy, but they are challenging to handle. This could be why your shoulders, hands, and back ache but you said "It happens every time.." Do you always load a large number of tanks...?

Your leg soreness could indicated a need for different fins. Did you have to fin a lot?

BTW, for muscle soreness along, I'd be taking aspirin or ibuprofen.

Thanks for the tips don i'm loading on potassium and calcium as well.

-V

From other information, I would assume you are working very hard to assume and maintain correct trim. I know my back muscles ached the next day after diving when I was trying to get my trim sorted out. But it was a familiar kind of soreness, obvious tired muscle aching, and I never worried about it.

I got really bad neck and shoulder pain when I was first diving, but that was clearly related to the amount of weight I was suspending from my shoulders. When I switched to the BP/W and started using a weight belt (instead of an integrated weight BC) the pain got much better.

It's quite unnerving to sit around after a dive and wonder, "Am I bent?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom