Southwest Airlines gets Approval for Houston Hobby International Terminal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the update. After the last flight we had on UNITED, the first since the change from Continental, I will say that we will try another airline if the option presents itself. We have been Continental flyers for many years, but, the changes that have been made have changed our minds. If SW is going to give this new route a try, then we just may as well.
I know what you mean ..... not at all thrilled about the change. Our last flight to Coz was going so well I was almost surprised ... then I found out the whole crew was a CT crew, no wonder!

Thanks for the update. After the last flight we had on UNITED, the first since the change from Continental, I will say that we will try another airline if the option presents itself. We have been Continental flyers for many years, but, the changes that have been made have changed our minds. If SW is going to give this new route a try, then we just may as well.
What did you see different? I just got back last night from Cozumel on United, booked on Continental before the merger. Things seemed pretty much the same to me. I've flown Continental to Cozumel every year for 20+ years.

What did you see different? I just got back last night from Cozumel on United, booked on Continental before the merger. Things seemed pretty much the same to me. I've flown Continental to Cozumel every year for 20+ years.

One thing they did was take a lot of Coach seats out of service, changing them to paid seats (see blue seats in attachment taken from United flight from IAH to CZM). Continental always only had a few rows, not half the Coach seats. United now calls the "Available Economy Plus" seats.

seats.jpg

I also heard this on the Phoenix morning news.. here is the blurb from United Airlines,

"NEW YORK, NY - As families prepare for air travel this coming Memorial Day weekend, United Airlines won't be offering early boarding to families in coach with small children.Joining a handful of other carriers, United made the policy shift in late April with little fanfare. Previously, families with small children flying coach were allowed on aircraft before general boarding, a convenience for moms and dads trying to herd their kids across the friendly skies."

This doesn't affect me, but my contention is that they are doing this because they are planning on doing what American is now doing, charging for aisle and window seats. Here is the news blurb from American Airlines..

"The announcement? American will begin charging fees for window and aisle seat selection. From the press release we see that pricing for "Preferred Seats" will begin at $4 per segment, "varying based on length of flight and time of day"...:rofl3:

So, United had to take the pre-boarding for kids away so there weren't fights when the boarding began because of families grabbing seats together and a paying customer with the seat assignment had to force the Stews to move everyone.

They are getting closer and closer to charging for the air we breath.. Just my opinion.

The main problem I've had with Unental & just listening to other passengers(mainly ex Continental) is the changes in boarding procedures. Elite status really doesn't mean anything anymore. We were always able to board after 1st & families, so we never had issues getting overhead compartments. Now we're lucky to even get the same boarding group. Sometimes we will get a sympathetic boarding agent that will let us board together, sometimes not.

We flew Jet Blue to the BVI's and I really wish there were more possibilities out of Austin with them. Nice people & great seats with legroom.

Mike

We noticed changes from the very start of the trip. We had to check in at the desk this time and experienced the rudest customer service we have ever had. Considering there was one person in line ahead of us, and no one else behind us, and we were 3 hours early for the flight, I can not see where there attitude was do to being overwhelmed with passengers. The employee floating around the Kiosks gave us the 3rd degree for our carry on bags, which are within the posted measurements. She also continued on her erroneous assessment stating that my husband's carry on could not possibly be under 40 lbs. We told her that we weighed it at home and it was around 20 lbs. She grabbed it, and I do mean grabbed it, with a huff and put in on the scale, only to have to eat crow as the weight came in at only 22 lbs. Our flight to Houston was as usual ... up and down, no refreshments or real service required. However, our flight to Bonaire was much different. Again, the desk attendents at IAH were rude. They didn't even look up to address us at the counter to pre-check our boarding pass. People we met at IAH also stated that the employees were rather rude. Once we were on the plane we found seating that was so tight it was ridiculous. I realize that this is the new way of air travel, but my knees were touching the seat in front of me and I am only 5'5". The flight attendants were grumpy and very impatient, barking orders and rolling eyes. And although I realize that traveling coach entitles a passenger basically no fringes, the least they could do is present their tray of water with a smile and be somewhat civil as they walk up and down the aisle jiggling the plastic trash bag. I also noticed that the plane was very dirty. Stained seats and dirty aisles, and this was a newer plane. The plane trip home was much of the same with the most filthy plane bathroom that I have ever seen. Overall, the best air travel experience I had this past trip was dealing with TSA, now that is saying something. They were at least courteous and smiled a few times. Now, perhaps the on board attendants for the Bonaire route are grumpier. However I must say that for the first two trips we made there , 4 and 2 years ago , everything was fine. Hopefully, we find that this negative experience was a fluke and that future United flights, especially those to CZM if we choose to fly this airline, will be different. Regardless, good luck to SW Airlines on this new venture. I hope it works out well for them.

I also noticed that the plane was very dirty. Stained seats and dirty aisles, and this was a newer plane. The plane trip home was much of the same with the most filthy plane bathroom that I have ever seen.

It is a known fact (and some say the main reason for the merger) that United had the oldest and/or most worn out equipment in the industry.

The main problem I've had with Unental & just listening to other passengers(mainly ex Continental) is the changes in boarding procedures. Elite status really doesn't mean anything anymore. We were always able to board after 1st & families, so we never had issues getting overhead compartments. Now we're lucky to even get the same boarding group. Sometimes we will get a sympathetic boarding agent that will let us board together, sometimes not.

We flew Jet Blue to the BVI's and I really wish there were more possibilities out of Austin with them. Nice people & great seats with legroom.

Mike

Elite status should put you in at least boarding group 3 on United, behind the first class cabin and "super elite." Except in Edmonton. In Edmonton the United flights are operated by Air Canada gate personnel, and they are the holdouts on the "board by row number."

Is your experience different? You have elite status on the star alliance but don't get a boarding group 3?

kari

Elite status should put you in at least boarding group 3 on United, behind the first class cabin and "super elite." Except in Edmonton. In Edmonton the United flights are operated by Air Canada gate personnel, and they are the holdouts on the "board by row number."

Is your experience different? You have elite status on the star alliance but don't get a boarding group 3?

kari

The problem is that United, and Continental before them, (and probably most airlines) have issued a gazzilion credit cards and most give free entrance to all airport clubs and priority boarding (including Star Alliance flights) so none of the earned perks are worth it any more. Full disclosure, I have one of those cards.

Through my many years of travel the clubs were expensive to join and pretty exclusive, the fee to join being around 3 to $500.00 per year. That was up until the massive credit card offers. It used to be they were a wonderful and quiet haven between flights and long layovers where you could escape the hustle and bustle of the concourses. Now when you go in one they are like a Peter Piper Pizza (or worse).

The reason the priority boarding seems to be a cluster-xxxx is because it used to be for a select few, limited to First Class or Elite travelers (do you remember when the airplanes had big closets up front and the flight attendants used to hang your coat or suit jacket up for you when you boarded, AND offer you a magazine or current newspaper and then return them to you just before the flight landed.. ah, hmmm..:().

But now it seems to be 2/3rds of the people boarding have priority, again because of the massive amount of credit cards offers with all the same perks for just a few bucks a year. Have you noticed that when they call for priority boarding the line now seems to be most of the people flying on that trip.. credit card perks !!

Last edited:
I have only flown once on United since the formal changeover to using only the United name, but on my flight the attendants AND the pilots both made a point of telling us they were a former Continental crew during their various announcements. I have heard from quite a number of folks that the Continental crews HATE United almost as much as alot of the passengers hate United and are doing everything they can to hold on to their Continental identity, lest they get lumped in with the typical rude and callous United employees. It is amazing how quickly United has been able to destroy what was once a pretty good airline. Especially sad, when you consider that Continental was really the stronger airline at the time of the merger, and most of the selling out to United seems to have occurred to allow the Continental CEO to become the CEO of the newly merged airline. I hope he is happy with the disaster he has presided over...

I always liked Continental and never had a flight problem that I can remember. I've flown them all over the Caribbean, Hawaii and Air Micronesia (Continental owned) out to Guam, Truk, Pohnpei, Kwajalein, Johnson Island, etc. They were great !!

The only problem I've had since they merged was a computer screw up that almost got me bumped by TSA because they used 15 year old info from United when I made my reservation and had me traveling international using the name ChrisMr (or in non computer terms, Mr. Chris) which didn't match my Passport as required by TSA.

I didn't catch it because the boarding pass printed out correctly but the agent said it didn't match what was in the computer. She managed to get it corrected but did grumble about having to do it and actually told me it was my fault even though all my previous flights on Continental, pre merger, went without a hitch.

But it got fixed and all was good.

Back
Top Bottom