Southwest Airlines gets Approval for Houston Hobby International Terminal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the etiquette on reclining a coach seat? Half way acceptable? I never know.... I worry about how far I can recline. I also want to know when I can be justified in being annoyed at the guy in front of me leaning back.

That's a good question and a tough one to answer. Different planes have different ranges of reclinability. I'd say the best practice is to recline the least amount possible so that you are comfortable. If the person behind you can tell you need a dandruff shampoo then you've gone too far. Also, push the button and ease the seat back carefully so you don't catch the person behind you by surprise or, worse yet, cripple them for life.

---------- Post added ----------

Good gravy, so a 3.5 hour BWI to CUN = No recline? I mean I never go all the way, just a little then stop. :) Does that count?

And if they go all the way on the people behind them, then its ok for me to go all the way on them right?

I am just really happy if no one fires a bowl in the back of the plane and makes us return to the gate. Yes, my standards have been lowered.

Yes, the people in the first few rows have extra responsibility because if they fully recline it causes a domino effect all the way back until the poor people in the last row are trapped against the bulkhead with a seat that doesn't recline at all.

I'm over 6'2" tall and can honestly say no amount of recline in front of me in economy is good for my legs. My knees are generally right at or very near the seat in front of me. My shoulders are wide as well. I'm forever in search of upgrades but are not always possible on last minute trips on full planes. I tend to stick to one airline in order to increase my chaces of upgrades as my miles grow on that particular airline. I do not reclines my seat into other peoples space on a plane, as I know how much it can hurt and be uncomfortable for the person behind me. If there is no one behind me I will recline at will.

I find it all fascinating. They give you a tiny bit of recline, but you shouldn't use it and if the guy in front uses his, you are pissed. However, if the airline took it away, we would be annoyed. For the record I am a tiny-weenie, slow leaner, I mean so little the stew wouldn't catch it. Secretly, though, who doesn't sorta dream of a 45 degree recline. I could curl up with my banky and... Well, you get the idea.

Geez, if they would just increase the seat pitch (separation) to that of the front area (Economy Plus?) people might flock to United. I do not know how many rows they would have to remove but it sure would make for a nice flight...and reclining impacts no one.

My other beef is the marginal seat width. Why not make new planes such that you can have several inches more seat width?

With the aging flight attendants, cranky and grouchy, the first class, elite platinum, silver, whatever class, boarding first and then, sometimes, children and people in wheel chairs,
no overhead storage, lots of very annoyed passengers, what fun it is to fly these days. The TSA Nazi group are just having fun with the sheep. Take off your shoes, do as you are told.

Geez, if they would just increase the seat pitch (separation) to that of the front area (Economy Plus?) people might flock to United. I do not know how many rows they would have to remove but it sure would make for a nice flight...and reclining impacts no one.

My other beef is the marginal seat width. Why not make new planes such that you can have several inches more seat width?
Because if you multiply those extra inches per seat by the number of seats per row, lo and behold the airline calculates it can stuff in another seat and increase revenue. I'm surprised they don't have us all sit on our sides the entire time so they could make the seats 9 or 10 inches wide. Or just have us all stand up like cattle, with some sort of tethering device so we don't fall over with turbulence.

Because if you multiply those extra inches per seat by the number of seats per row, lo and behold the airline calculates it can stuff in another seat and increase revenue. I'm surprised they don't have us all sit on our sides the entire time so they could make the seats 9 or 10 inches wide. Or just have us all stand up like cattle, with some sort of tethering device so we don't fall over with turbulence.

Standing could work:

USSpaceRocket2GP.jpg

Last edited:
Your link is broken. You say in jest but Ryan Air already wants to do this.

I saw this reported on the news a week or so ago. And if you read down they are making passengers carry their own bags to the plane. This is also the airline that wanted to charge passengers to use the restroom.
I have no problem with charging passengers to use the restroom. However, they should charge by the minute, not per use. I can barely fit on an airplane toilet seat as it is and wiping my butt is near impossible even with contortions that end up throwing out my shoulder, so I prefer to do my sitting-down business in the airport facilities unless it's a long haul or Montezuma got his revenge.

However, given the diuretic effects of alcohol, I believe drinkers should be given restroom credits. Otherwise it's a form of double taxation, having to pay $5 for my drink and another $2 or so to dispose of it properly.

Ryan Air seat idea....

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ62zyPO16mjxBgOUGFYcliYVC0ZsmxG6ZGT6VY9AvvbCVqZz_c

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom