SP350 (or any digital camera) and Macs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daptonema

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an SP350 that I have been taking photos with and rather than waiting until I get home and transfering the images to my work PC I want to transfer them to my new MacBook Pro. I haven't got the CD that came with the camera with me. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to connect the camera or point me in the right direction.

Thanks, just realised that, exactly as you say, I don't need anything!!
In fact, if only I'd opened the photo programme on the new Mac I would have known!

Thanks anyway.

alcina:
Can't you just plug it in? I wouldn't think you'd need the software to transfer images - I don't think I've ever installed the software that comes with my compacts!

yeah, I have a Canon SD500 -- just plug it in, iPhoto comes right up - click on Import.
Easy as pie mate.

EDIT: The only reason I could see to need extra software would be if iPhoto/Photoshop did not support the cameras RAW format -- maybe not a concern for a point & shoot though.

I was going to say, that's what Mac is using as one of their big selling points nowadays...just plug it in.

limeyx:
EDIT: The only reason I could see to need extra software would be if iPhoto/Photoshop did not support the cameras RAW format -- maybe not a concern for a point & shoot though.

This shouldn't even be an issue for transfer. I would think the computer would simply see the files and you just copy them over to the hard drive. You might need a different piece of software to VIEW the images if the format isn't supported, but they would be stored just fine.

This happens with my portable MP3 Archos, for instance...I can store virtually anything on it, but can only view the jpeg versions of any photos.

alcina:
This shouldn't even be an issue for transfer. I would think the computer would simply see the files and you just copy them over to the hard drive. You might need a different piece of software to VIEW the images if the format isn't supported, but they would be stored just fine.

This happens with my portable MP3 Archos, for instance...I can store virtually anything on it, but can only view the jpeg versions of any photos.

Good point.
I sit corrected.

Image Capture is installed free as part of OSX. It works quite well and has some cool scripts too.
Guess I'm not a huge fan of iPhoto as far as where it puts the files, they get buried a bit.
PS3 has a very nice image upload as well.

Jack

I prefer to use Photo Mechanic to download to my ibook and my PC. You can add caption info before you ingest, or download, the photos so all that info will be added to each pic. But, as stated, you don't need any software for a Mac or PC. You can always just drag the folder of images off the camera, or card, directly onto your desktop and they'll copy.

Back
Top Bottom