Split fin hate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone in NW WA that wants Twin Jet or Twin Jet Max fins, size large, lightly used, you can have them for half price.

I like my Tusa splits. The only problem is, they are heavy as kettlebells. This does not matter when we drive to Florida but imposes some limits on luggage when air travelling. Or if I take them on a hike to Captain Cook's monument to snorkel there. Remember, you'll have to climb 1,266 ft on the way back.

A full leg flutter kick is rarely necessary. Maybe if trying to outswim a salt water crocodile.
Yes most divers do more of a lazy fludder kick.

If someone gave me a pair I would try split fins, (but not buying any,)
But I need large foot pockets, an my trusty turtle work very well.

Back to the original question....

I am wondering if it all goes back to the idea that split fins are primarily for forward flutter kicking and little else. For most of the world's divers, that is all they need or want. For a certain set of divers, though, they don't work as well. That includes divers in silting conditions (inside caves and wrecks) and situations requiring intricate maneuvering. Those dives are generally considered to be more advanced. That means that showing up with split fins announces that you have no intention of doing that kind of advanced diving, kind of like having a full face tattoo with multiple piercings announces you have no intuition of having an executive level job.

But there are plenty of highly skilled divers who only do those kinds of dives, and there's nothing wrong with that.

With flutter kicks, every part of the stroke propels you forward. With some more advanced kicks, there is a definite difference between the power stroke and the recovery stroke, and a poorly done recovery stroke works against the goal of the power stroke. With the recovery stroke, the fin should cut through the water like a knife, creating a minimum of resistance. Some split fins are so soft and floppy that they can't do a recovery stroke without twisting and bending, creating resistance.
I'm definitely no expert on this, so I might be wrong, but this seems counter-intuitive. Why would something soft and flexible create resistance when dragged through the water? I would think that a flexible material would follow the path of least resistance, not bend "into" resistance. I always thought the problem with split fins were lack of direct push, not too much resistance...

I'm definitely no expert on this, so I might be wrong, but this seems counter-intuitive. Why would something soft and flexible create resistance when dragged through the water? I would think that a flexible material would follow the path of least resistance, not bend "into" resistance. I always thought the problem with split fins were lack of direct push, not too much resistance...
Part of the setup/recovery stroke for frog kick, for example, has the fin moving a bit sideways. For the trailing half of the split fin that means it's moving with he soft/floppy inside edge towards the water, and that part can fold, creating resistance.

I just sat down at my computer now after returning from a great dive at "Heavens Sea" dive site. 92 minute dive (partially night dive). I just LOVE these freaking awesome SuperNovas. I swam 600 meters on surface on the way out with snorkel and then even further out underwater and all the way back in a zigzag pattern underwater. I am not tired at all.

(Enjoying tea with milk, A chicken kabab sandwich and cookies. BTW, for you Western guys, it is KABAB NOT Kabob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I can't wait to do it again, and again and again...

I just sat down at my computer now after returning from a great dive at "Heavens Sea" dive site. 92 minute dive (partially night dive). I just LOVE these freaking awesome SuperNovas. I swam 600 meters on surface on the way out with snorkel and then even further out underwater and all the way back in a zigzag pattern underwater. I am not tired at all.

(Enjoying tea with milk, A chicken kabab sandwich and cookies. BTW, for you Western white guys, it is KABAB NOT Kabob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

I can't wait to do it again, and again and again...

Oh, I forgot to mention: I used my Scubapro Hydros Pro BC, SP Everflex 3mm wetsuit, 3mm Bare hood, Bare Tropical gloves, SP MK19/G260/S600, BigBlue 8000 Lumen lights, Ratio iX3M Tech+ computer with transmitter, D Mask with SP Snorkel in addition to my SP SuperNovas.

Back
Top Bottom