Split Fin Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. (Hey, how about designing fins with an adjustable split width, so we can "shift gears"?)
I think you are on to something here. Let's introduce the FanFin (TM) featuring a revolutionary adaptive dynamic surface area that automatically conforms to your power needs. The harder you kick, the wider the fan spreads out. Giving you the force and power when you need it, plus the ability to enjoy low effort cruising.

"Just say NO to split fins!"

That vortex of which was spoken may not help with forward propulsion but it sure does leave a mess in your wake.

The basic principle of Split fins is that an object subjected to outside influences will "choose" a path which makes a certain quantity, the action, an extremum. The action is a functional, a mathematical relationship which takes an entire path and produces a single number. The physical path, that which the object actually follows, is the path for which the action is "stationary" (or extremal): any small variation of the path from the physical one does not significantly change the action.

The overall form of the equation behind split fins is not unusual or unexpected as it uses the principle of the conservation of energy. You can analyze their effectiveness in terms of the nonrelativistic Schrödinger equation vis a vis interpreted as total energy of the system, equal to the system kinetic energy plus the system potential energy. In this respect, it is just the same as in classical physics.

Because split fins do not conform to non-n-space geometries but instead use quantum tunneling to exert force in multiple lattices simultaneously they must be observed in situ for divers to accrue their benefits. This is why solo divers experience such limited benefits using split fins.

Bwahahaaa. :rofl3:

"in situ" hahaha

Nature's Wing owns the patent that every split-fin maker uses. So they're probably the best source for how they actually work - Split-Fin Technology | Split-Fins.com

unlike the rest of these clowns...:D

The overall form of the equation behind split fins is not unusual or unexpected as it uses the principle of the conservation of energy. You can analyze their effectiveness in terms of the nonrelativistic Schrödinger equation vis a vis interpreted as total energy of the system, equal to the system kinetic energy plus the system potential energy. In this respect, it is just the same as in classical physics.
Schrodinger? So that's why my cat just died.

I am neither an engineer or physicist. I think the point of split fins is that the split is a modified form of venting that makes the fin easier to kick with. Some fins have vents, jets for example and some don't, Dive Rites. The vents are supposed to cut down on resistance and make the fin easier to kick, especially flutter kicking.

You will find that some people are passionate and irrational when discussing split fins. Some love them others hate them.

I don't know the technical explanation of how they work...thats what Google is for.

Here's MY experience with Atomic split fins. I'm 48 and have crappy knees from years of playing baseball (catcher), football, and the military. Regular blade fins cause my knees some grief after a couple days of constant diving, regardless of the kick style. I can dive all week, 5 dives a day in my Atomics split fins and my knees don't hurt a bit. I find them negative underwater and have to adjust my bouyancy accordingly, especially when I'm hovering for a photo.

They aren't great for frog kicking, but it can be done. They aren't great in currents, but it can be done.

I prefer my Avanti Quattros most of the time, but I usually need ice packs and Motrin after a couple of days.

I'm sure this response had nothing to do with the OPs question, but its Friday afternoon and I'm killing time until I shut down my computer and head out for a margarita.

Peace and Bubbles.

DiverSteve, Actually, Force Fin's Foil Force hit the market a year prior to Nature's Wings' Licensees. Had its patents, and is not subject to others. The history of this event can be found elsewhere. This video helps explain Split Fins. And, the differences between others and the Foil Force Fin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shQVnMkuU5I&list=UUvhYeQ6hYptVuhgamaN717g

Back
Top Bottom