**Split Fins – Let the Bashing Begin!**

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I have paddle fins and use a dolphin kick, is that like a split fin?

P.S. LOVE Wonderwoman. Not much for Superman.

there ya go! And combine them with those fins that flip up.
FLIP and ZIPS!

OMG!! THEY ARE MAKING SPLIT FLIP FINS? WILL LESIURE PRO HAVE THEM? :rofl3:

(sorry...):shakehead:

Man, that is EXACTLY as I remember it!!!! Oh yeah, and they make a cream for that infection, dont ask how I know...
Whoo-hoo Richie Kohler is here! You are the man!

I think you all have solved my navigation problem. I will wear one split fin and one solid fin. This will insure that I swim in a perfect circle and return to my origin since one fin will provide more propulsion than the other. Just like steering a twin engine boat with the throttles. Heck, I can even decide clockwise or counter clockwise by switching between a flutter kick and a frog kick! Way to go!!
Geez, I didn't know that you could use a fin on either foot. Here I thought that the problem was the current.I always have trouble identifying on which foot to put them and worry about the consequences. I must have my mask strap too tight around my forehead.

Thank you ScubaBoard for providing me with the information to correct the error in my ways.

When my buddy and I were diving the U-869 on air with John Chatterton and Richie Kohler last year, my buddy's split fins silted the place up so bad that I couldn't find my Spare-Air. I got so nervous I mistakenly hit the "up elevator" lever on my SeaQuest i-3 BCD. Ordinarily, this would have sent me shooting to the surface, but fortunately some monofilament got tangled around my Air-2. When I cut the line with the 11" knife strapped to my calf, I mistakenly poked the purge valve in my HydrOptix mask. I tried to use my tank banger to get my buddy's attention, but by that time he had gotten one of his suicide clips tangled up in the retractor I use to attach my dry snorkle to the transmitter of my air-integrated wireless compass, which I bought on-line instead of at the LDS that I stopped supporting ever since I signed up for e-learning. I believe that was ....!

I haven't read the whole thread, but damn that was funny!

So you like my statement, hm?

It's true...
Honestly, how many divers do you see who have proper kicking technique -- flutter, frog, or otherwise? Most just move their feet in the hopes of forward propulsion...

Being a competitive swimmer for 6 years, trust me 90% of the people I see dive have no concept of how to kick, flutter, frog, whatever. Did I mention I love my splits?

Being a competitive swimmer for 6 years, trust me 90% of the people I see dive have no concept of how to kick, flutter, frog, whatever. Did I mention I love my splits?

somewhat out of place, as this is a joke thread...

but you are right, I swam competetively for over 10yrs. and its not just in fins while diving though. Many people just don't have the expirience to develop the muscles for a good strong kick, as there are no exercises other than swimming that can teach you, or train you to swim

I too liked splits... until they fell apart (Atomic's panels fell out), and then I went back to ForceFin and haven't looked elsewhere since.

.. trust me 90% of the people I see dive have no concept of how to kick, flutter, frog, whatever.

Very true.

somewhat out of place, as this is a joke thread...

Not really. This thread was to dispel the notion that splits are somehow generally inferior to other type of fins. This claim generally made by rubber stamps posters, most of whom have never even tried them. I too have never tried them, but my wife loves them.

..but you are right, I swam competetively for over 10yrs. and its not just in fins while diving though. Many people just don't have the expirience to develop the muscles for a good strong kick, as there are no exercises other than swimming that can teach you, or train you to swim

I too liked splits... until they fell apart (Atomic's panels fell out), and then I went back to ForceFin and haven't looked elsewhere since.

I also had a misspend youth in competitive swimming and playing water polo up to my first year in college. A proper kicking technique is not taught in any scuba class that I know of. Hmmmm – I see a new thread coming.

Not really. This thread was to dispel the notion that splits are somehow generally inferior to other type of fins. This claim generally made by rubber stamps posters, most of whom have never even tried them. I too have never tried them, but my wife loves them.

I agree, I was just looking at it more as a joke thread to point our the lunacy of many of the comments that we see on this board.

A proper kicking technique is not taught in any scuba class that I know of. Hmmmm – I see a new thread coming.

I don't know about a learn to swim thread, but I would like to see a similar thread for all the intergrated wieght BCD's to point out to all the BP/W guys there are other options that are purpose designed with the recreational diver in mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom