Split fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaLab posted their results. So feel free to review and/or publish correction if you have different results in your study.

Was that a scientific study?

How I am sure he is a great diver. My arugment throughout this thread is simply the limitations of split fins as it relates to doubles/tec diving. He has indicated that he will start adv nitrox/deco procedures class this year. I indicated that he will probaly ultimately utilize paddle or blade fins for this endeavor. Just my guess...

And what does Adv Nitrox/Deco diving have to do with paddles and split fins? I'm not penetrating 10,000-ft of caves, I'm not swimming against 5-knots currents.

And it's still your opinion that split fins don't deliver thrust and speed, while ScubaLab (scientific and whatnot) have shown with measuring devices that split fins put out at least as much or damn close to as much against excellent paddle fin (we're not even talking about the crappy paddle fins yet).

Probably about as scientific as referring to GUE guys diving with solid fins.

I think it's more akin to magazines like road and track or car and driver taking a few cars around the track and recording some numbers (cost, acceleration, fuel consumption, etc.).

It's interesting, but that's about as far as it goes.

That their drivers can get car A around faster or more effeciently than car B doesn't mean I'll have the same results.

Same with fins. I've developed a strong muscle memory for my personal kicking style (referenced a few pages back) that doesn't lend itself to small fins. Others have tight rapid kicking styles that are more applicable to splits or snappy force fins.

And what does Adv Nitrox/Deco diving have to do with paddles and split fins? I'm not penetrating 10,000-ft of caves, I'm not swimming against 5-knots currents.

And it's still your opinion that split fins don't deliver thrust and speed, while ScubaLab (scientific and whatnot) have shown with measuring devices that split fins put out at least as much or damn close to as much against excellent paddle fin (we're not even talking about the crappy paddle fins yet).

You will be encountering much more drag in doubles along with deco bottle...We are not reinventing the wheel here. There is a good reason why 99% of tec diving is accomplished in paddle or blade fins. I have no idea why I continue to belabor this point...

Last edited:
Here's my study, I tried lot's of fins. I bought the ones I liked. But the gap in performance between the best and worst fin was simply not that big.

As I've said...

The most important feature of any fin is the diver to who's foot the fin is attached.

The way you need to look at this is to consider how much buoyancy your drysuit is providing, and how much it could potentially lose with a massive flood, combined with a BC failure.

"If at the surface or at depth in the unlikely event that you lost both your BC and drysuit's buoyancy, how much weight would you need to ditch to get back to the surface, and stay there? And you have to consider the weight of a full tank and regulator, and any other negatively buoyant gear.

Most folks can swim 10-15 lbs of weight up; but as you approach 20lbs, most would begin to have a problem, and you need to be very strong and have good stiff paddle fins as you begin to approach 30 lbs.

So to give you an approximate answer, I would not want to ever configure my gear be in a position where I would need to swim more than about 15-20 lbs up from the bottom.

Best wishes."

I have 30 lbs of lead now and not only can I swim that up, I can swim myself down without. Split fins for the win.

Was that a scientific study?

Dude, that is the beauty of the science. If you feel that their method was somehow flawed you can conduct yours and publish corrections. Regardless if the quoted study was not scientific.

Aforementioned test did mention way they tested and results. If you find their methodology and results flawed elaborate and provide why different methodology would provide better results and preferably also add results achieved with new methodology.

Same with fins. I've developed a strong muscle memory for my personal kicking style (referenced a few pages back) that doesn't lend itself to small fins. Others have tight rapid kicking styles that are more applicable to splits or snappy force fins.

But that is the key here. You developed a a repetitive motion memory based on that specific fins. If you would be provided different fins you would find best fit for them and develop different type of motions and commit it to your muscle memory.

Short of study performed so that it eliminates personal style and preference it is impossible to claim one style of fins is better than other.

Chances are that one could develop successful non-silting kick style with split fins that would outperform blade fins.

Current bar for testing seems to be ScubaLab article. I for one would welcome someone raising the bar with proper comparison testing.

Same with fins. I've developed a strong muscle memory for my personal kicking style

Yes. We all have muscle memory. My buddy keeps going back to a set of "Aqualung Idea 3 fins" that he started diving with years ago. To him, that's what a fin is supposed to feel like. He does OK with them, too.

Experienced golfers or baseball players can hold a club or bat and get the feel of it without hitting a ball. Muscle memory is working when an experienced diver puts on perfectly good fins and says "ugh, not for me".

Our preference for the feel of certain fins may contridict scientific results, yet it is science in itself. That's why fin discussions don't reach a conclusion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom