Split fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Science is self correcting. Peer reviewed articles and researchers are the key. Sure some scientists mess up but goes back to peer reviewing and ability to recreate any good scientific study.

Have there been any peer reviewed scientific studies about fins?

They may be pretty good cave or tech diving but that hardly qualifies them as experts on all facets of diving.

I find it fascinating that being a really good recreational diver carries so little credibility when it comes to gear selection - even for recreational diving.

The fact is most divers will defend their gear choices, no matter the configuration, no matter the dive location or circumstance.

GUE just released their 503 page comphrehensive recreational manual so their expertise spans quite wide. I do not know the absolute facts but I believe their last world record dive involved 20K linear feet (cave) at 300ft of depth spanning 18 hours. I believe that is a saturation dive but I could be wrong again...

I certainly agree with the second & third paragraph. I would stack many local single cylinder divers (extreme diving spearos) with any in the world and fnfalman is hanging tough with split fins for any application...:)

Nah, science has degenerated into political posturing. Data bent to meet some agenda. Like it or not, it's the truth. Scientists across the globe now cling to their theories in the face of undeniable evidence to the contrary, just to save face or appease some political faction.

The sad truth.

I call your bluff on this one.

That would likely ruin all the fun we have here debating about them...:wink:

ScubaLab posted their results. So feel free to review and/or publish correction if you have different results in your study.

GUE just released their 503 page comphrehensive recreational manual so their expertise spans quite wide. I do not know the absolute facts but I believe their last world record dive involved 20K linear feet (cave) at 300ft of depth spanning 18 hours. I believe that is a saturation dive but I could be wrong again...
How is that relative to recreational diving?

I certainly agree with the second & third paragraph. I would stack many local single cylinder divers (extreme diving spearos) with any in the world and fnfalman is hanging tough with split fins for any application...:)

Well. I've actually dived with HT(fnfalman) and will say that he is a very competent diver. His choice of fins, for the diving he does, certainty fits his style perfectly.

As an aside: I lost a fin (Cressi blade, broken spring strap) and was loaned a split to do the final dive of the day. So here I was diving with one blade and one split (Atomic). I never gave it a second thought, I did not go in circles nor did I have any problem with speed, hovering or back kicking. I just enjoyed the dive.

How is the most comprehensive open water course relative to recreational diving? How is it not?

Recreational Diver Level 1 - Nitrox diver | Global Underwater Explorers

Well. I've actually dived with HT(fnfalman) and will say that he is a very competent diver. His choice of fins, for the diving he does, certainty fits his style perfectly.

I am sure he is a great diver. My arugment throughout this thread is simply the limitations of split fins as it relates to doubles/tec diving. He has indicated that he will start adv nitrox/deco procedures class this year. I indicated that he will probaly ultimately utilize paddle or blade fins for this endeavor. Just my guess...

.. I do not know the absolute facts but I believe their last world record dive involved 20K linear feet (cave) at 300ft of depth spanning 18 hours.
How is the most comprehensive open water course relative to recreational diving? How is it not?
I guess the 300' in a cave thing sort of threw me off, sorry.
Well. I've actually dived with HT(fnfalman) and will say that he is a very competent diver.
I am sure he is a great diver. My arugment throughout this thread is simply the limitations of split fins as it relates to doubles/tec diving. He has indicated that he will start adv nitrox/deco procedures class this year. I indicated that he will probaly ultimately utilize paddle or blade fins for this endeavor. Just my guess...
Maybe, maybe not. Either way, it will be his decision as to what fin he choses and what works out best for his diving right?

I guess the 300' in a cave thing sort of threw me off, sorry.
Maybe, maybe not. Either way, it will be his decision as to what fin he choses and what works out best for his diving right?

Yep...

As an aside: I lost a fin (Cressi blade, broken spring strap) and was loaned a split to do the final dive of the day. So here I was diving with one blade and one split (Atomic). I never gave it a second thought, I did not go in circles nor did I have any problem with speed, hovering or back kicking. I just enjoyed the dive.

But you died, right? I mean, that is really the only possible result of doing something so foolish! :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom