Split fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's more or less like riding a bicycle in high or low gear. If you go up hill you want a higher gear...in diving this is the split fin. It's easier on your body but you have to kick twice as much.

If you go down hill on a bicycle you will want to be in low gear...in diving this is the paddle fin. If you don't need to move very fast but do need control and maneuverability paddle fins are great.

In between you can use either. For no current and a long surface swims splits are nice. Splits basically feel like you have no fins on so it feels weird at first.

You can do most any type of kick with either but flutter kicks are more advantageous for splits . Frog kicking is the domain of paddle fins.

If you typically aren't in current and you have to surface swim long distances then splits might be for you. If you have great viz and don't intend to get near the bottom and therefore can just flutter kick throughout the dive...splits may be for you.

For many/most other conditions paddles seem to work best (IMO). I have both and these days just use paddles. (You can frog kick in splits and flutter kick in paddles...it's just a matter of efficiency).

But don't you know that if you use split fins, wear a jacket bcd, use a snorkel and have gear in any color but black, that you are just a statistic waiting to happen!!

Of course this is an internet forum. and this is just my opinion, but you will die with the above combination!!

It's more or less like riding a bicycle in high or low gear. If you go up hill you want a higher gear...in diving this is the split fin. It's easier on your body but you have to kick twice as much.

If you go down hill on a bicycle you will want to be in low gear...in diving this is the paddle fin. If you don't need to move very fast but do need control and maneuverability paddle fins are great.

In between you can use either. For no current and a long surface swims splits are nice. Splits basically feel like you have no fins on so it feels weird at first.

You can do most any type of kick with either but flutter kicks are more advantageous for splits . Frog kicking is the domain of paddle fins.

If you typically aren't in current and you have to surface swim long distances then splits might be for you. If you have great viz and don't intend to get near the bottom and therefore can just flutter kick throughout the dive...splits may be for you.

For many/most other conditions paddles seem to work best (IMO). I have both and these days just use paddles. (You can frog kick in splits and flutter kick in paddles...it's just a matter of efficiency).

There really should be a 'MythBusters' episode on 'who says Split fins suck in high currents ?' , as it's been my experience that my Apollo Bio fins EASILY handle currents, and that I can swim as fast/faster than any other diver/dive group I've been with.

There really should be a 'MythBusters' episode on 'who says Split fins suck in high currents ?' , as it's been my experience that my Apollo Bio fins EASILY handle currents, and that I can swim as fast/faster than any other diver/dive group I've been with.

I can only say that they suck for me in current. If you are going along a wall and want to slow down or stop or match your speed with that of your buddy you can't just stick a blade out to easily accomplish this (IMO).

If you find yourself in more current than anticipated and you need to fight it to either get out or to get to your dive site at a certain point splits do no more than keep you in place (my experience anyway).

I can ride a bike in high gear on a level road but it's not the best gear to be in.

If by current we are just talking about drift diving then any fins can do that.

There are no limitations with the use of paddle & blade fins as compared to split fins which quickly sums up my analysis on this perpetual discussion...

Last edited:
it's been my experience that my Apollo Bio fins EASILY handle currents, and that I can swim as fast/faster than any other diver/dive group I've been with.

After the dive, do you get them to tell you about all the stuff you missed as you zipped along the reef?

:cool2:

There are no limitations with the use of paddle & blade fins as compared to split fins which quickly sums up analysis on this perpetual discussion...

The main way to sum up the "which fin is best" conundrum is to accept the fact that the most important factor impacting the performance any fin is the DIVER to who's feet they are strapped.

:blinking:

If you were in hell, you'd swim against a current for 5000 yards (and there's a current in both directions. How? It's Hell!) in 100 degree water with a stubby j-snorkel while wearing a 7mm wetsuit/vest/hood/gloves, 200 pounds of gear, and a popsicle stick hot-glued to the bottom of each foot. And you have to swim using the butterfly technique. Then all you end up with (if you complete the task) is a Padi OW card with your name spelled wrong. And your driver's license picture on it. (or something along these lines)

Dang! You just made me spit my martini all over my monitor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom