Split fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would take up ballroom dancing before wearing Force fins. IJS...

Haha. I tried one type... Excellerating Force Fins I think they were called. Much much better than I expected actually!

But at $800... no thanks, I'll stick to my cheap Jetfins.

Force fins aren't "split fins" are they?

Well they are not paddles either really.

I would take up ballroom dancing before wearing Force fins. IJS...

Dancing is for warriors, only the meek turn their eyes away.

Can you hunt, can you fight, then you should be able to cut a rug. Pansy wanna be males that canna dance, just can not.

So are you saying that you recognize that you lack in some way the whatever it is to put on a different pair of fins instead of your flippers, not that there is anything wrong with that.

"I should hope that every and anyone recognizes that this is a typical fin vs flipper debate and that I just jumped in and grabbed a white hat."

I seldom look at my scubaboard so sorry, but because I have split fins I thought I would put in my two shells worth. I have been diving for years and in the beginning with a full wetsuit I had mini rockets. For me they were big heavy and just what I got used to. When I began wearing a shoe fin in the tropics i
I found my small snorkel fins (Plana) were maybe not giving me enough power. So, I purchased a pair of splits not knowing what to expect. As most of my dives have been longer than usual and my male bfb has excellent air consumption, I being a female and having natural better air consumption have begun to think the ease of which these fins take me through the water help my air consumption. Long winded way to say I think they keep from using excess energy therefore consreving on the air in the tank. Granted I dive with underwater photographers and am interested in what is there rather than going the distance. However my bfb wears long blades and is gone in a heartbeat. I don't have any trouble in a current or swimming long distances either. Aloha

I seldom look at my scubaboard so sorry, but because I have split fins I thought I would put in my two shells worth. I have been diving for years and in the beginning with a full wetsuit I had mini rockets. For me they were big heavy and just what I got used to. When I began wearing a shoe fin in the tropics i
I found my small snorkel fins (Plana) were maybe not giving me enough power. So, I purchased a pair of splits not knowing what to expect. As most of my dives have been longer than usual and my male bfb has excellent air consumption, I being a female and having natural better air consumption have begun to think the ease of which these fins take me through the water help my air consumption. Long winded way to say I think they keep from using excess energy therefore consreving on the air in the tank. Granted I dive with underwater photographers and am interested in what is there rather than going the distance. However my bfb wears long blades and is gone in a heartbeat. I don't have any trouble in a current or swimming long distances either. Aloha

Nice post! We are for the most part just pulling each other's chain as our opinions are already well established. Since I started technical diving more than a year ago I have been trying to use the same fins for all diving (SP jet fins) but all my dive buddies use long blades when rec diving. I have no choice but to also utilize as I stand no chance keeping up with them when they pour on the gas spearfishing often against our heavy Gulfstream current.

Split fins are more than adaquate for most all recreational applications except swimming against a strong current. This is generally universally known. I have already spoken too much on this thread. Out of here! :sprint:

Last edited:
Dancing is for warriors, only the meek turn their eyes away.

Can you hunt, can you fight, then you should be able to cut a rug. Pansy wanna be males that canna dance, just can not.

So are you saying that you recognize that you lack in some way the whatever it is to put on a different pair of fins instead of your flippers, not that there is anything wrong with that.

"I should hope that every and anyone recognizes that this is a typical fin vs flipper debate and that I just jumped in and grabbed a white hat."

It would take a fair amount of time in order to get past how funny they look regarldess of performance. I am somewhat of a traditionalist...:)

Well they are not paddles either really.

Have you actually seen a pair in person? Have you used them?

Bob Evans would disagree with this statement as being an over simplification, but Force Fins ARE paddle fins. Yeah, they have a bit of a bend and a little notch. Some models have added "edges" to duplicate the thick edges of Jets which are the surface used in back kicking. But ultimately they are paddle fins, which is why they can be effectively used by good divers in cave/wreck/tech...

original282.jpg

extraforce282.jpg

extra-300.jpg

spaceship-300.jpg

Excellerating_force-300.jpg

flying-300.jpg

flying_rotating.gif

Other than their "Foil" model...

foil-front-150.jpg

...Force fins have very little in common with SplitFins. So while many who goose-step in their JetFins lump Force Fins in with SplitFins as being "non-traditional" fins, Force Fins are much more traditional than not.

Have you actually seen a pair in person? Have you used them?

Yes. I mentioned this already. I have used the normal Force Fins (only briefly however) plus I tried the Excellerating Force Fins properly (or whatever they are called). The normal ones look like a cross between split and paddle.

They feel very different to paddle fins in the water also imho. Ymmv.

Back
Top Bottom