Spyderco H-1 folding knives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 3 Spyderco H1 knives.

I use my Salt topside mostly during a surface interval lunch; I also have the Dragonfly that I take to the beach when I want to carry something small in a wet environment.

I take three cutting tools when I dive to give myself redundancy (and I like knives!). I dive with the Spyderco fixed blade Enuff Salt H1 Sheepfoot - serrated knife. My knife is mostly to pry things, and sits on my waist belt. This is a great fixed blade and I will never need to buy another dive knife. My Hollis titanium line cutter is fixed to my shoulder strap and titanium shears attached to my waist belt (and on the other side to my knife).

My advice is not to take a folding knife underwater, and instead make your first cutting tool purchase a Trilobite or another line cutter. The most common thing a diver is likely to cut underwater is some sort of line; therefore, a cutting tool rather than a knife is a better choice.

Regards

GJS

Regarding the bolt snap config for a Spyderco X Salt...
If it's clipped to and dangling from your harness be aware that under certain circumstances it might flick open.
I used to use the bolt snaps on my Serrated Atlantic Salt and once while loading my twins onto a rib it somehow rubbed on the rubber of the rib or caught something, flicked open, and by pure chance did NOT cut through the rib. But it totally should have because they cut everything like butter.
After that I went back to a lanyard and clip. Also less of a chance of losing it in the murk w a lanyard.
I love mine. Removed the pocket clip and added a Wichard shackle and DGX small bolt snap.
View attachment 542533

If Spyderco would make paramedic shears out of H-1 (including the rivet) that would be the ultimate cutting tool for me. I carry an Atlantic Salt occasionally in addition to a full time Trilobite.

Way to revive a super old thread.

I actually talked to spider Co about making dive knives. Not sure if they will or not. The steel is the best material for a knife but deploying and folding in gloves especially dry gloves with thick liners, no thanks.

Way to revive a super old thread.

I actually talked to spider Co about making dive knives. Not sure if they will or not. The steel is the best material for a knife but deploying and folding in gloves especially dry gloves with thick liners, no thanks.
Maybe it's hand shape but I've had no probs flicking open Atlantic or Pacific Salts in 5mm mitts. 7mm was a little tricky!

Back
Top Bottom