Squat Anemone Recipes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My favorite recipe for ortiguillas (as they are called in Spain) is to dredge them in seasoned flour and deep fry them. They are like fried oysters, only better! Have you read my book on the history of Yucatan food?

images.jpg

6x9-cover-food-of-Yuc-588.jpg

Here is a video of some tiny squat anemone for blind divers like myself.
I bought a pair of bifocal masks several years ago so I could read my gauges and see smaller things underwater. After I had my cataracts fixed giving me 20/30 vision without glasses, I found the bifocal masks were great for looking for tiny anemone crabs and anemone shrimp.

I'm confused tho. Did you want to cook and eat the tiny shrimp which hardly seem rewarding as food, or the anemone?

My favorite recipe for ortiguillas (as they are called in Spain)
Ok, you're talking about an anemone. The same kind as found in the Cozumel channel?

Fun fact: These same shrimp (Thor amboinensis) are known in marine aquarium circles as "sexy shrimp" because of the provocative way they gyrate their tails.

Marine aquarists need to get out more. :wink:

I bought a pair of bifocal masks several years ago so I could read my gauges and see smaller things underwater. After I had my cataracts fixed giving me 20/30 vision without glasses, I found the bifocal masks were great for looking for tiny anemone crabs and anemone shrimp.

I'm confused tho. Did you want to cook and eat the tiny shrimp which hardly seem rewarding as food, or the anemone?

Ok, you're talking about an anemone. The same kind as found in the Cozumel channel?
No Don. I cant fathom anyone who would go collect those shrimp to eat. Its purely clickbait. Can you imagine how long you would have to spend underwater searching for enough of those little animals just to make any kind of meal..... I bought a cheap magnifying glass from office depot here which I often use to look at the micro critters. Its getting tougher to see the small stuff now. Do people eat anemone? Some eat anything....

My favorite recipe for ortiguillas (as they are called in Spain) is to dredge them in seasoned flour and deep fry them. They are like fried oysters, only better! Have you read my book on the history of Yucatan food?

View attachment 782149
View attachment 782151
Didn't know people eat anemone. Never seen it here. I asked my wife who is from Yucatan and she has never heard of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom