ss springs for force fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ApexLongimanus

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
i've seen ss springs for force fins quite some time ago but find it impossible to find them again, even with the vast power of google. i would prefer ss springs over bungee. just a personal preference.

does anyone have a lead which ones work for the FF and how to get them?

apexlongimanus, IMHO springs belong on garage doors. They are heavy and add unnecessary stress to your Achilles tendon. Please don't kill the elegant fluidity of Force Fins by adding on a set. The bungee strap system we offer does everything you expect from your springs, and makes much more sense on the end of your leg. The bungee strap system was developed for Scandinavian military operations, 15 years ago. Another company has just copied the bungee system so it might catch on more over metal straps.

straps, who needs straps?

apexlongimanus,
Did you try the Force Fin Bungie Heel strap and just did not like it, as you say personal preference. If not give it a try as it is a smart design that makes doning and doffing fins extremely easy.
I have never used a SS Spring strap, but I have dove with divers who have and I always was amazed at how much pressure it took to get the fin off of the divers foot.

We have seen a heel strap modification from a Force Fin Fan that has put on "Springs" - to their Force Fin so it has been done. What straps are on your Force Fins or other fins now?

bob & blair,

thank you for your posts. i am actually ok with the bungee from a convenience / fit / weight point of view. the only issue i (and my wife) have with it is that the plastic ring(s) that hold(s) the bungee into place came lose and was lost. once dropped, they are almost impossible to find. while i normally carry a spare, it's annoying if it happens before/during entry - i do lots of cold water diving -. my thought is that with ss springs this problem would be eliminated.

if you have any other suggestions, i have an open mind.....

it would be even easier to simply use a longer bungie and tie it in a knot on the other side of the clip. SS spring introduces more problems than they solve.

I have to wonder, are your bungies too short, I've been diving them for years and the only problem I have had were the older white bungies did dryrot and break on me, but Bob switched to the black bungies that doesn't seem to have that problem.

Hi Apexlongimanus

Just completed spring strap conversion of a force fin pro today. Used stainless steel 0.062 diameter springs from mcmaster carr and formed a loop on the end(1 and 1/2 loops). Used a brass grommet to close up the loop hole to prevent screw form slipping thru loop. I re-used original screw to re-attach. Used black vinyl tubing to cover up springs. Make sure to use thread lock on the screw thread to prevent loosening of screw. The original nylon straps are terrible to take off when you have to climb out on the rocks form a shore dive. If you need help give me a holler.

Alan

Back
Top Bottom