SSI Stress and Rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sparrowhawk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well, I am taking a Stress and Rescue (SSI) course. I am still fairly new to diving and wouldn't mind if anyone had advice they could give me about the Stress and Rescue course. I have heard that the SSI's Stress and Rescue course focuses too much on the stress instead of rescue techniques. I have already read much of the SSI Stess and Rescue book and I do believe that it may focus more on the stress. I have read (not in the book) that the course isn't easy, but seeing as though I have not taken the course yet, I would not know if this is to be true.

Thanks,

Sparrowhawk

Hi Sparrowhawk,
I've not done the SSI course, but have done the YMCA equivalent. One of the best things I learned in the course is that it's best to avoid the need for a rescue if you can.

One of the ways to do this is to watch for early signs of a potential problem, especially stress of various kinds:mental, physical, time, etc. One small action at the very outset can correct what could have otherwise been a bad situation.

I think most courses should (obviously)cover rescue techniques, but the main focus will be to avoid problems from the start.

Just my thoughts.......
Dive safe and have fun!

Brian

Lessee here, Georgia and taking SSI stress rescue. My guess is thats taught by a Dive Shop franchise. Dive Shop Memphis has a nurse or doctor and well as some other people give short demonstrations/lectures in their class. There is a healthy bit of rescue data taught if I have been informed correctly.

The book may not reflect the emphasis of the lectures.

hi,the course does focus on the stress part alot. being able to understand and identify stress,and what leads to it will enable you to control the situation a bit better.the rescue side of the course focuses again on controling the situation and being able to react to it.it is not a hard course to do,it can be if you "stress"about it.you will do fine and enjoy it,it is good to know what to do if the situation arises.
main thing is-DONT STRESS ABOUT IT.

The class emphasizes how to recognize and deal with stress and factors that lead up to stress in you and your buddy, so that you can sidestep and/or defuse situations before they require a rescue.

It also covers how to handle various rescue situations, including bringing your buddy back to the surface and towing him/her back to the boat/shore, when your buddy in various states of distress ranging from unconcious/tired to panic.

It's an excellent class and I think everybody should take it.

Terry

Sparrowhawk:
Well, I am taking a Stress and Rescue (SSI) course. I am still fairly new to diving and wouldn't mind if anyone had advice they could give me about the Stress and Rescue course. I have heard that the SSI's Stress and Rescue course focuses too much on the stress instead of rescue techniques. I have already read much of the SSI Stess and Rescue book and I do believe that it may focus more on the stress. I have read (not in the book) that the course isn't easy, but seeing as though I have not taken the course yet, I would not know if this is to be true.

Thanks,

Sparrowhawk

Well, I did take the SSI Stress/Rescue course last year. It was equally as difficult as my original certification 35 years ago. Search the board; I posted my experiences.

"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" is an old adage but it applies to SCUBA diving. I learned to recognize potential difficult situations and how to prevent them from blowing into crises. I learned to recognize a diver in trouble, before, during, and after the dive. I learned what to do if I have to assist in a rescue, or worse, initiate one. My instructor wouldn't let me use my daughter as a "victim"; he brought along someone my size. That is, over 6" tall and 250lbs. What a job!

I went diving in zero-visibility, with equipment I was not familiar with, in fresh water much colder than the ocean I usually dive in.

To summarize, it was a great experience and I am glad I did it. I am a better diver for it.

Other than the Dive Master Training that I am now taking, the SSI Stress & Rescue course was the toughest yet most rewarding certification taken. Just relax and go with the flow of the class you'll come out a much more confident diver. Good Luck.

Hello again,

Thanks for the advice, I am looking forward to doing the course actually. I probably won't take the Stress and Rescue course until next year. I don't think they have a Stress and Rescue class set up anytime soon. I think that this will be a good course for me to take, the more confidence the better.

Hope all is well,

Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk,

I just finished my SSI Stress and Rescue Course. I agree the SSI course does focus a lot on recognizing stress, but I think that is a logical approach. Recognizing stress and dealing with it, either in yourself or someone you are diving with, is much better than having to actually rescue someone.

The course also has a great deal of information and techniques for conducting a rescue if that is necessary.

For me, once I read the course material, even before I took the practicals, I started thinking about diving differently. I became acutely more aware of others I was diving with in a very positive way.

You will love the class, and I'm sure do well with it.

Safe diving,

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom