St Croix - SCUBA and Dive Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope you share your experience with us! St. Croix has popped up on the radar several times as a dive destination. This Feb my husband wants to try somewhere new; we are debating between St. Croix or Belize. Top side St. Croix looks more appealing, but reading on other forums, safety seems to be frequently mentioned. I understand the rules in Curacao or Bonaire about not leaving anything of value in the car and leaving windows down, but I never felt unsafe walking around at night.

We were in St. Croix quite some time ago (2009) and we were warned about theft directed at tourists at that time. In fact the cruise ships had stopped coming to St. Croix because of the crime problem. We spent a week on a liveaboard and then a week at a land-based resort. We rented a car and drove all over the island. We found the people were friendly and we never felt unsafe; but we did heed the warnings and we never "strayed very far off the beaten path". Since then the cruise ships have returned to St. Croix and I have heard that things are much safer, but I don't have any personal knowledge. But I would go back to St. Croix.

Regarding the 2 places you've suggested, Belize and St. Croix, we've also spent a week on a liveaboard in Belize and a week at a land-based resort on Ambergris Caye (and a few days in Belize City) and we felt very safe in Ambergris Caye.

Of the 2 destinations, I think the diving in Belize was better but they were both nice and the Fredricksted Pier in St. Croix is one of the easiest and best shore dives that I have ever done. Really fantastic with seahorses and frogfish and octopus and loads of other critters. But you can't dive the pier when cruise ships are in port.

The reason we haven't gone back to Belize is the mosquitoes. I probably sound like a wimp but I am very sensitive to mosquito bites and I get big, itchy, red welts that persist. I don't know if it was just our bad luck but the mosquitoes on Ambergris Caye were the worst I have ever encountered. We also did a land excursion from Belize City and I got badly bitten then too. Of course it was fine when we were on the liveaboard boat.

Maybe there just wasn't any breeze or something when we were on Ambergris Caye, but you had to wear mosquito repellent just to walk a few doors at night to a restaurant, and you still got eaten alive - and forget about having dinner outside! I remember one night when the entire island lost power for several hours, it was swelteringly hot in our hotel room but we didn't dare open the windows or doors because of the mosquitoes. My husband is usually not bothered very much by them but even he thought that they were really bad.

Our experience may not have been typical, and of course it is no surprise that one encounters biting insects in the tropics, but every time I think about going back to Belize I remember the stings and itches and change my mind. We had to take Malaria medication when we went to Belize and now that they have had quite a few cases of mosquito-borne Chikungunya and Dengue Fever, I am even less enthusiastic about returning to Belize - they don't call that area the "Mosquito Coast" for fun! But I don't know if the mosquito-abatement programs have improved in recent years, you should talk to others that have been there more recently.

As far as your husband wanting to see something different, I would suggest Little Cayman or a liveaboard to the Turks and Caicos (sharks and rays on just about every dive.) But the water is kind of cold in those areas during February (low to mid 70s) so you might want to go someplace further south for warmer water.

Diving off Kona in Hawaii is also different and great, but again the water would be rather cold (IMO) in February. Good luck finding a great destination!

Super helpful information Kathyv! Thanks for the breakdown of your experience. Years ago my brother and his wife experienced horrible mosquitoes and sandfleas while visiting Corn Island Nicaragua. It literally ruined their vacation. I like the idea of shore diving in St. Croix, my husband wants to see the bigger stuff. I will let you know our decision. I know we will need to make a decision soon since it is peak travel time in the Caribbean.

I've been to Ambergris Caye 30+ times over the years and have even stayed lengths of time longer than a standard vacation. Yes, I've had mosquito bites, and sand flea bites, but not so many as I've received in other locales. It's all dependant on 3 things. 1) wind/weather 2) location on the island 3) time of day.

If it's been raining a bit, instead of dry and the breeze isn't brisk, better have your bug juice 2) if you're staying up north or south where the island is narrow and so near the lagoon side (backside), wear your bug juice 3) same as anywhere else, try to be indoors for dawn and dusk

I've been to Ambergris Caye 30+ times over the years and have even stayed lengths of time longer than a standard vacation. Yes, I've had mosquito bites, and sand flea bites, but not so many as I've received in other locales. It's all dependant on 3 things. 1) wind/weather 2) location on the island 3) time of day.

If it's been raining a bit, instead of dry and the breeze isn't brisk, better have your bug juice 2) if you're staying up north or south where the island is narrow and so near the lagoon side (backside), wear your bug juice 3) same as anywhere else, try to be indoors for dawn and dusk

Thanks for sharing, my experience on Ambergris Caye must have been unusual. We have been to Roatan 3 times and I have certainly encountered mosquitoes and sand fleas there and at other locations in the Caribbean. But when I think about Ambergris Caye the strongest memory is of the bites, stings, and welts.

Back
Top Bottom