St. Thomas - Good Diving but Overpriced Ghetto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
I'm just not willing to let the "white guilties" take over my mind.

it's not about that. that's just the easy way out of the analysis

:wink:

ReefHound:
That is just a fact of life. How the "natives" deal with it says more about themselves than the tourists.

but how the tourists perceive, frame, and relate to the native issues says much more about the tourists

i feel the OP totally has missed the issues at play here, and has undestood the problem in his own terms, rather than looking at the problem for what it is

ReefHound:
So pumping lots of money into their economy cause them to turn to hate and crime?

that's worked real well in Iraq...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16895294/

it's a very American way to solve problems (throw cash at it), but unfortunately, it doesn't work all too well

because...

that's addressing the symptoms and trying to fix them, not the root problem

(agree) ..and your idea is....

Was it Gandhi that said our intentions matter? getting it right result-wise would be nice though..

as to Iraq? or as to St. Thomas?

actually, the solution is the same, come to think of it

there's nothing the US can do in Iraq to make peace come about other than leaving and letting the local people sort it out.

same in St. Thomas

get out. let the "natives" work out what kind of place they want, even if it's a horrible disaster ... short of genocide, it really is none of our business

H2Andy:
but how the tourists perceive, frame, and relate to the native issues says much more about the tourists

i feel the OP totally has missed the issues at play here, and has undestood the problem in his own terms, rather than looking at the problem for what it is

We'll just have to disagree because we are talking about the same set of tourists. If the tourists are the reason for how the "natives" perceive their issues then the people of other resort destinations would be the same way.

I think the OP doesn't care, he's a tourist who expected to take a nice vacation and be treated as a welcomed guest, not a student out to fully understand their complex local issues.

ReefHound:
I think the OP doesn't care, he's a tourist who expected to take a nice vacation and be treated as a welcomed guest, not a student out to fully understand their complex local issues.

if he expected Disneyworld in the real world, then he should be prepared to be disapointed

each place is different, and you need to approach each place differently

H2Andy:
if he expected Disneyworld in the real world, then he should be prepared to be disapointed

each place is different, and you need to approach each place differently

All inclusive resorts such as Sandals, Couples, Clud Med et al are good for the "Disneyworld experience"

But I digress.........
I really should........

as to Iraq? or as to St. Thomas?

if you have the answers to either it should be really juicy.

Jam, I am sure you have some great perspective. Why digress?
You must have an opinion about the differences found in the various islands, the strengths, the weaknesses.

The worst thing that could happen is a mod could bop our heads.

H2Andy:
that's worked real well in Iraq...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16895294/

it's a very American way to solve problems (throw cash at it), but unfortunately, it doesn't work all too well

because...

that's addressing the symptoms and trying to fix them, not the root problem

And yet, whenever we don't throw cash at the problem we get villified for that. Look at how we got jumped on when our initial response to the Indonesian tsunami relief was seen as inadequate. But hey, I'm all for cutting off the gravy train. What annoys me though is that the same set of people here who are always blaming America for throwing money at problems are the ones pushing for us to throw more money at other problems.

ReefHound:
Look at how we got jumped on when our initial response to the Indonesian tsunami relief was seen as inadequate.

one ought to be wise enough to know which problems can be solved with money and which can't

the Indonesian problem was one were money was of the essence, not being a civil war or some other political uprising, but a natural disaster

natural disasters are easy, and money does make a difference

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom