STA and BPW disassemble frequency questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tournesol2000

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi. I recently acquired a Zeagle BPW (aluminum back plate).
I will only get access to it in a few months, but I have a few questions.
1) it came with an STA. Should I leave it on or remove it? I like the idea of removing it, but I figured it’s there for a reason. Would love to get opinions from you all.
2) I want to disassemble the wing from the backplate for travelling and storage, but don’t know if this is a hassle and would increase the chances of the screws loosening from over use.

Thanks
Al

I aways disassemble my BP/W for travel, and pack the wing as far away from the plate and STA as possible. I showed up at a cave class a few years ago with a puncture, which I have to assume happened during transport.

Last edited:
I take my Halcyon BP/W apart after every dive. It's much easier to dump the water from the wing without the STA/plate. My STA has a 5 lb insert, and it gets heavy with the BP.

The Delrin thumb wheels you can get from DGX are much easier to use than wing nuts, IMO.

Dive Rite Scalloped Delrin Thumbwheels, Set of Two

Last edited:
Some backplates do not need a STA, we have used Zeagle BP without a STA and it works fine. There is no cylinder instability. We remove the wing from the BP for travel and storage.

Excellent. Thanks all.
Like the idea of using Deleon wheels. I just ordered from DGX.

The wheels are much easier on my thumbs than the wingnuts!

I take my Halcyon BP/W apart after every dive. It's much easier to dump the water from the wing without the STA/plate. My STA has a 5 lb insert, and it gets heavy with the BP.

The Delrin thumb wheels you can get from DGX are much easier to use than wing nuts, IMO.

Dive Rite Scalloped Delrin Thumbwheels, Set of Two
I’ve heard of those stripping and coming loose underwater. I’d recommend these, as they are metal on the inside and you can apply more force:

OMS 5/16-18 Delrin Thumbwheels, Set of Two

If I was going to use wing nuts, I’d get a dozen wing nut wrenches (a dozen as I think my buddies would steal mine over time :wink: )

The wingnuts get loose if I don't crank them down after every dive.

A high% of people are diving a BP/wing with doubles, which generally come apart after every dive.

Sometimes mine stay together in the back of my truck, but I'm diving fresh water and don't usually remove tanks for filling. If you are into salt water, I would pull apart for better rinsing.

Sorry, another question- is it safe to thread the tank straps to the STA only and not thread them through the back plate?
That would make it so much easier to disassemble as I would not have to take the straps off, but my newbie brain thinks that the STA and wing nuts cannot support the tank.
Thanks.
Albert

Back
Top Bottom