'Standard' Regulator set-up with BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chester1

New
Reaction score
Hiya everyone,

Long story short I'm looking at buying a BP/W but I have a question about using it with a 'standard' recreational regulator configuration (i.e: Primary Reg, Octo, LP inflator etc..) My main question I suppose is where would I clip off the Back-up octo regulator? The shoulder D rings seem to be a bit high and the regulator might inhibit arm movement. The hip D rings are also probably a bit too low, but what do you guys think. I know most people would use a long hose set-up with a BP/W but is it possible to use an Octo set-up safely somehow?

Thanks!

I know most people would use a long hose set-up with a BP/W but is it possible to use an Octo set-up safely somehow?
Absolutely. Long hose is only one option and not at all mandatory. There are a few hose lengths and routing options that make everything easier and more streamlined (check out what DGX calls the streamlined OW setup for an idea on hose lengths - they have a good video on that page) but it is totally possible to use the standard recreational regulator setup safely.

My main question I suppose is where would I clip off the Back-up octo regulator? The shoulder D rings seem to be a bit high and the regulator might inhibit arm movement. The hip D rings are also probably a bit too low, but what do you guys think.
This setup is for the hoses you already have. You can add another D-ring on the right shoulder strap at the position you want below the shoulder D-ring. Or just use one of those snorkel holder rubber thingamajigs looped on your shoulder strap at whatever height. Then route the backup reg hose under your arm and clip/attach it there. I assume your primary will stay over your shoulder with the hose bowing out.

I'm not following how your arm movement is being inhibited. Could you clarify? Where are the hoses going in this scenario?

Yes it is, the shoulder rings will work just fine. Their position is adjustable so you can move them to a spot that works for you.

You can set up any regulator configuration that you desire. A buddy of mine has a standard recreational configuration with an Air2. I prefer a 40 inch hose with a bungee backup for my rec diving, after trying a number of different configurations.

And as @RyanT says in his post above, the D-rings can be moved, added, or removed on the rig for your convince.

Bob

Last edited:
Absolutely. Long hose is only one option and not at all mandatory. There are a few hose lengths and routing options that make everything easier and more streamlined (check out what DGX calls the streamlined OW setup for an idea on hose lengths - they have a good video on that page) but it is totally possible to use the standard recreational regulator setup safely.

This setup is for the hoses you already have. You can add another D-ring on the right shoulder strap at the position you want below the shoulder D-ring. Or just use one of those snorkel holder rubber thingamajigs looped on your shoulder strap at whatever height. Then route the backup reg hose under your arm and clip/attach it there. I assume your primary will stay over your shoulder with the hose bowing out.

I'm not following how your arm movement is being inhibited. Could you clarify? Where are the hoses going in this scenario?

I didn't know for sure it would inhibit the arm movement. I guess I just imagined that if the reg was near my armpit it could get in the way! But I've never tried it obviously so if you say it isn't an issue then I believe you :)

I use a traditional regulator configuration with BP/W and the octo sits just fine. It hangs just a little with the snorkel keeper I use and is pretty much mid-pectoral muscle.

I'd use a 40" hose for the primary SS (in my mouth) and a 22 - 24" hose for the backup SS that is in a neck bungee. I'd give my primary SS on the 40" hose to the OOA diver and I switch to the backup SS on the bungee around my neck. My primary and backup SS are the same, top of the line!

I am not sure I understand why your preferred hose selection/routing would be different in a bp/w than any other bcd type. Before reading a lot of recommendations by highly experienced SB members, I had my octo on a 40" hose routed under the right arm and connected to a necklace (very comfortable), and primary over the shoulder with both jacket and back inflate. Now, I have the primary on the 40"/under the arm, and the octo on the short hose, over the shoulder, on the necklace. I would continue to use this configuration with any bcd.

Hello Chester1,

As others have stated, using your recreational regulator set with standard hose lengths will work just fine. We sell and rent BP/W for use in that configuration all the time. The right chest D-ring should be positioned so that it sits just about the center of the chest, just under armpit height. Using an octo holder (or snorkel keeper) puts the octo in a pretty comfortable and accessible location.

On an extra note, I personally believe in making one change at a time, and this is what I recommend to my customers and students. If you one day want to move to far superior (I had to say that) long hose set up, you can, but for now just making the change to the BPW is good. Get use to one different setup first, before moving on to another. I think keeping your existing regulator configuration while getting used to your ne BP/W is a great idea.

I clip my Octo onto the hip d ring. dive Gear Express also sells some plastic clips that clip onto a 2 inch strap with a hole for a stainless split ring. Perfect for adding extra points quickly to make yourself look like a Christmas tree! Until you figure out exactly where you want to add a d ring, they make life easier.

I use them to "lock" my utility pocket on to my waist strap as well. Handy as pockets on a shirt! I thought they would unclip, but never had one let go or slide in probably 50 dives. Easy enough to move and remove too.

DGX Black Plastic {2 in | 5.1 cm} Webbing Lock Clip

Good luck!
Jay

Back
Top Bottom